Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on DDR2 purchase for the following Prescott Build

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Me again looking for your advice and experience, I will be building an Intel System with the following:-

Prescott 660 3.6Ghz
    Asus P5WD2 955 Chipset MB
    Sapphire X800 GTO2 Graphic Card

I'll stick the whole lot into a Stacker Case. Run on air cooling for the moment (Will use the Thermalright SI120 Heatsink with 120mm fan).

I plan to overclock the system as much as I can and looking on shop4memory for the best bang for my cash on DDR2 memory. The following Modules have caught my eye:-
    2Gb DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) Dual Channel kit - GeIL 234 Euros
    2Gb DDR2-667 PC5400 Value Pro Series Dual Channel - OCZ 226 Euros
    1Gb DDR2-700 PC2-5600 Patriot XBL Dual Channel kit - Patriot 193 Euros
    1Gb OCZ DDR2 PC-5400 Gold Series Dual Channel kit - OCZ 179.

I'm inclined to go for the first one as the one review I've found gave it a pretty good review. But I'd value your views and direction on this.

Thanks

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Care to consider the opteron root?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Fraid not I'm an Intel Fanboy, plus the 660 will (hopefully) have its multiplier unlocked.

Cheers

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

plus the 660 will (hopefully) have its multiplier unlocked.

since when????

Ah its an Engineering Sample I'm getting my hands on ;) Was talking to a mate of mine with 2Gig of memory and he tells me that Xp doesn't really make much use of anything over 1 Gig, anyone care to comment?
    Tx
    Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You get a boost out of over 1 gig memory in a few games lately. One very big one is battlefield 2. The extra gig is basically required to run smoothly with things turned up.

• Advertisement

All right then, but can anyone give me any direction on which of the modules above to go with???

Thanks

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, there's no real point in getting 2gb for gaming and then get an Intel processor, what you gain in the extra gig, will be lost (and alot more) by going for the Intel over an AMD chip (unclocked or not). Even the higher end Intel chips, don't keep up with the lower end AMD chips.

In summary, 1 gig will probably be grand for you, and probably allow you to overclock more (better timings).

Advertisement