Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drag racing?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Are there 1/4 or 1/8 mile timed drag racing events in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

There were one or two during the summer but there's no set track IE Santa Pod in the Uk.

Come show season around march when things start to pick back up you should hear of some.There VERY popular here and im suprised there not ran more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

gibbon75 wrote:
    Are there 1/4 or 1/8 mile timed drag racing events in Ireland?
    Check out the industrial estates at bout 1 in the morning around Dublin!!! Nobody around so no danger to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone out there got any ideas on locations / old airstrips that would be suitable for these events?

There are some events ran up in Bishopscourt up the North but it's a bit far to travel and the roads are c**p from Newry on.

http://www.sideways-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=events

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

think there is one in Enniskillen too.
    best off making a road trip out of going to Santa Pod.

Did that last year, would be hard to beat it! Bit of a long haul though: Dublin - Holyhead - Northampton - Return + Food + Beer + Petrol in a V8!

Lookin' for something you can do in one day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

RedRaven wrote: »
    Check out the industrial estates at bout 1 in the morning around Dublin!!! Nobody around so no danger to anybody.

Hope you're messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

the port road in waterford. All ye boy racers be out there all the time doing it. Feckers lol

Does this look like a boy racer car to you?

sa7127.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Does this look like a boy racer car to you?

sa7127.jpg

No a disable driver? Or driver with a disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^ It was in the 70's!

Anyway think theres a run at Bishopscourt in Feb

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    ^^ It was in the 70's!

Anyway think theres a run at Bishopscourt in Feb

True for ya! But different class altogether!

Been up to Bishopscourt before, bit of a nightmare drive from Newry across in the wet. Wouldn't be a**ed making the trip again. On the lookout for somewhere more local, e.g midlands somewhere? Might suit alot of people better. It's getting the site that's the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kceire wrote: »
    think there is one in Enniskillen too.
    best off making a road trip out of going to Santa Pod.

I did it in Eniskillen this year, was great craic, and cheap enough (around 50 for the day, as many runs as I liked)

Even at that it's too expensive. It's only £20 in The Pod to race all day long. And it's a proper slick circuit and really well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RonnieT

I'll see your TransAm and raise you a Ford Popular !

IMG_3435.jpg

Agree totally about the lack of 1/4 miles strips in Ireland north & south. It's a real pity as it's a great day, fun motorsport, not too dangerous.

I reckon if I lived in the UK I'd get a lot more use out of the car - there's plenty of places to run and lots of clubs / championships etc. In fairness to Wayne at Sideways, he's trying hard to build some good events - Bishopscourt is a bit of a trek, but then again, so is Kirkistown - you have to remember that these were WW2 airfields for bombers, so their locations were chosen to be far from towns and cities.

I guess in a way though if you don't support what's available, it'll never grow into anything more.... unless like some who've replied to their thread you're happy racing in industrial estates where "... Nobody around so no danger to anybody..."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    True for ya! But different class altogether!

Been up to Bishopscourt before, bit of a nightmare drive from Newry across in the wet. Wouldn't be a**ed making the trip again. On the lookout for somewhere more local, e.g midlands somewhere? Might suit alot of people better. It's getting the site that's the problem!

Ya bishops court is an awful drive especially going up from kerry.

Surely with the popularity of modified cars you'd think they could do something in the midlands of Ireland in decent reach of all?

I don't think its a lack of interest in doing something in the south, more a lack of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

seanybiker wrote: »
    the port road in waterford. All ye boy racers be out there all the time doing it. Feckers lol

Had a feeling I'd see the Port Road on this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RonnieT

Now, if it wasn't for all this neutrality stuff, Ireland would be full of old WW2 airfields with long, long bomber-sized runways ideal for this sort of stuff :D

It's not just the 1/4 mile, but the staging areas, and long run-off at the end that's needed. I do think it would be popular with a decent venue, but I doubt if anyone is going to take the risk of building one in the current climate.

Love to do it! It wouldn't be mental money and if it was well put together in a central location there would be plenty of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

How much do you reckon it would cost?

It's the land that would be the most expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

SV wrote: »
    How much do you reckon it would cost?

It's the land that would be the most expensive.
    think you'll fid the public liabillity inshurance [sp] would be bigger

i go across to the pod a few times every year
    going to rotorstock/retro show next on july 11th/12th
    cost is 250 each for my friend and me,thats ferry,petrol,camping,show tickits
    after that its just how much u bring for food/drink :D

now compare that to going up north
    70 for petrol
    45-60 ifink for entery
    no camping if i stayed up there
    115-130 + accomadation and spending money

much more fun going to the pob :D

Advertisement