Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Maintenance

Options
  • 28-11-2005 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just wonderin what you guys do to keept them fans spinning nice and smooth?

I've noticed my fans are starting to make more noise than they used to (2X papst 120mm), its even starting to bother me while trying to sleep :(

I'm guessing there's more than likelly pilles of dust stacked on the inside of the case that i need to clean out.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Blow everything out with compressed air regularly and put a drop of grease on the fan bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

get speedfan from download.com

excellent program turned my windtunnel into a silent pc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

clean the dust out of the case 1st :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

In the case of an extremely bad fan, you can try taking it out of the case and washing the motor section out by squirting methylated spirits into it. Spin it around a bit and then turn the fan over to let the meths flow out, leave it for a few hours or so and the remaining meths evaporates away, and hopefully has brought out any dirt that was causing the noise. Slightly oil the bearing after doing this and before using the fan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have noticed that with my antec case. When i first got it and turn it on i would hardly know it was on. But now its like a jet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yea my x800pro fan is ridiculously noisy at the mo. Any advice for cleaning that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Don't bother. Get an Arctic Cooler for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    Don't bother. Get an Arctic Cooler for it.

i totally agree, those x800 standard fans as SOO noisey and crap at cooling, replace it with something better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks for the replies guy (and gals if about).

Never taught of compressed air, will see if maplin have it during the week.

Dont think i'll need speedfan, got a fan controler (but i have concidered using it before)

I got some ball bearing grease for bycicles at home, that do you reccon for regreasing?

Got a antec case to (Sonata) but not standard fan in sight, all papst and a OCZ PSU.

How long do fans usually last before they get more noisey, these are less than a year old i think (pretty sure actually)?

And about a fan for X800, defo cant go wrong with a Arctic cooler. My X800xl came with one and its unbelievably quiet, using atitool to adjust fan settings, keeps temps very low to even after hours of gaming.

Jozi

Advertisement