Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some adviec required for performance improvement

Options
  • 27-11-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to squeeze the most out for my system.

Recently got F.E.A.R. and I'm trying to get the most out of my graphics card etc...

Anhow, my setup is:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 1 GB RAM, XP Pro, Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB)

I have disabled unnecessary Services, and Currently running Firefox (5 tabs open), Thunderbird, AVG Anti-Virus and Sygate Personal Firewall and Task Manager I'm using 295 MB Memeory.
    I have diabled system restore and File indexing on C Drive.

I have Rage3D Tweak installed but I'm not too oconfident at overclocking the Graphics card.

When I run F.E.A.R. I'm at 600 X 800 and everything is Medium and performance is so-so.

So any suggestions as to where to start would be great.

Thanks !!

Martin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

How many processes do you have running?
    How big is your page file?

1. Turn off System Restore Process?:
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > System Restore Tab > "Turn off System Restore" > Click Ok
    After that, Disable and Stop the System Restore Service:
    Start > Run > services.msc > System Restore Service > Stop and Disable

2. Turn off Indexing Service
    You can disable the service from:
    Start > Run > services.msc > Indexing service > Stop it, then choose ‘disabled’ fro the startup option.
    You can remove the function via the "Add / Remove Programs" icon in the control panel (Windows Setup Programs) to get rid of it altogether

3. Remove Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop Sharing
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > Remote Tab> Uncheck both "Remote Assistance and Desktop Sharing" options > click OK

4. Disable Windows XP Themes
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > Advanced Tab > Performance > Settings > Visual Effects Tab > "Adjust for best performance." > Click OK

Disable and Stop the Themes Service:
    Start > Run > services.msc > Themes Service > stop and disable it from startup

5. Use Msconfig
    Run msconfig and get rid of any annoying startup programs that may be hiding.
    Start > Run > msconfig > Startup (don’t disable services from in here, use services.msc in ‘run’ instead)

6. Disable Hibernate Function
    To save on disk space is it a good idea to disable the hibernate feature from Windows. Do so in Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate > Untick ‘Enable hibernate’

7. Services
    You can disable these:
    Alerter
    Error Reporting
    Indexing
    Messenger (this is NOT MSN messenger, it’s the annoying popups!)
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing]
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Registry Service
    Smart Card
    Smart Card Helper
    System Restore Service
    Uninteruptible Power Supply
    Upload Manager
    WebClient
    Windows Time
    WMI Performance Adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh somethin is using up a lot of ram on your system.

What cooling u got on the gfx?? If you dont have anything other than a crappy stock cooler, forget overclocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Commited - had almost all of that done, excect Windows Themes, which is now disabled.

Gline - Arctic Cooler Copper Silent 2 on the CPU, STandard cooling on the 9800 Pro (bloody huge heat sync) on both sides of it.

Still at 300 MB Mem Usage - Attached are Gif's of Task Mon Performance, Processes and running services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

commited wrote:
    How many processes do you have running?
    How big is your page file?

1. Turn off System Restore Process?:
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > System Restore Tab > "Turn off System Restore" > Click Ok
    After that, Disable and Stop the System Restore Service:
    Start > Run > services.msc > System Restore Service > Stop and Disable

2. Turn off Indexing Service
    You can disable the service from:
    Start > Run > services.msc > Indexing service > Stop it, then choose ‘disabled’ fro the startup option.
    You can remove the function via the "Add / Remove Programs" icon in the control panel (Windows Setup Programs) to get rid of it altogether

3. Remove Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop Sharing
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > Remote Tab> Uncheck both "Remote Assistance and Desktop Sharing" options > click OK

4. Disable Windows XP Themes
    Start > Control Panel > Select Performance and Maintenance > System > Advanced Tab > Performance > Settings > Visual Effects Tab > "Adjust for best performance." > Click OK

Disable and Stop the Themes Service:
    Start > Run > services.msc > Themes Service > stop and disable it from startup

5. Use Msconfig
    Run msconfig and get rid of any annoying startup programs that may be hiding.
    Start > Run > msconfig > Startup (don’t disable services from in here, use services.msc in ‘run’ instead)

6. Disable Hibernate Function
    To save on disk space is it a good idea to disable the hibernate feature from Windows. Do so in Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate > Untick ‘Enable hibernate’

7. Services
    You can disable these:
    Alerter
    Error Reporting
    Indexing
    Messenger (this is NOT MSN messenger, it’s the annoying popups!)
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing]
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Registry Service
    Smart Card
    Smart Card Helper
    System Restore Service
    Uninteruptible Power Supply
    Upload Manager
    WebClient
    Windows Time
    WMI Performance Adapter

Oh thats nice commited i might do some of that my self.
    When i boot up mu computer only have about 150megs used up before i start doing anything.

As for the poster i would oc you CPU and your video card. I had that same video card and it could clock high. 445 core but would only leave it at 420 for normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

• Advertisement

I regularly Scan with SpyBot and AdAware, so I doubt that SpyWare is the problem.
    I'll disbale ATI Catlaylst and Creative stuff, will help, but I still reckon my Mem Usage is pretty high.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Rename to fear.exe to fear1.exe

Rename to fear.exe to fear1.exe

??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

FEAR is a resource whore, to play it wth everything maxed out requires and OC'd top of the line Dothan or FX-57 and an SLI / Crossfire rig with 2 7800GTX's or 2 X1800XT's.

So being realistic you are going to struggle with your rig to extract much improvement. A new GPU would make a big difference, or even buying an Arctic Silencer to OC yours a bit would help.

Inqui

OK - Didn't realise that FEAR was such a resource hog....

May get a Graphics Card Cooler and OC it a bit.

What's the Athlon XP3000+ like for OC-ing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

deadl0ck wrote:
    ??? :confused:

Some people using ati drivers have found improved framerates by renaming fear to anything else, it has something to do with optimisations in the drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

krazy_8s wrote:
    Some people using ati drivers have found improved framerates by renaming fear to anything else, it has something to do with optimisations in the drivers

From what I heard they got an "if" statement backwards :)

Advertisement