Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

£1/2m on a Plate

Options
  • 27-11-2005 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

From The Sun 23-11-05........

"A Number plate set to be the world's most expensive has gone on sale - at £500,000.
    The "X1" reg will also cost the buyer £87,515.50 in VAT. Four people have already made offers for the unique plate which dates back to 1903.
    Len Stout, of Reg Transfers, suggested Jaguar might want to buy it for their X1 model.
    The current most expensive plate is K1NGS, bought by the Sultan of Brunei for £230,000 in 1993."

Wonder will we every see private plates in Ireland ?
    .....and being sold for that kind of money ?

Incidentially, the ex-Kilkenny reg 'VIP 1' (on the UK register since the late 70's) is one of the most expensive plates over there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I think "CAT 1" (for a Jag) went for some huge amount too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I remember seeing RIP15 on a hearse some years ago and thinking that some hearse surely had RIP1 somewhere.:) I also remember seeing SI1 wasted on a Ford Sierra a few years ago and thinking it would be a nice reg for an interesting kind of car. I suppose we'll never see personalised plates here considering we have the stupid looking EU plates that date a car the minute they're fitted, even though the government could make a mint out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes, SI 1 would be a nice reg for some interesting car!

I recall seeing SI 11 on a BMW 3 series, though it was a silver-on-black plate and looked like SIII :cool:

The govt could have a 'nice little earner' if it reissued old style registrations for use as personal plates!

Alternatively, they could start a new 'County Plate' system for personal plates -
    i.e. your county letters followed (or preceeded) by a number of your choice,

e.g.
    (Wicklow) WW-1, 1-WW, WW-318, etc etc
    (Dublin) D-111, D-007, D-320, 320-D, etc etc ... even D-4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The other day I saw R1OBN. So near, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Took this photo in Edinburgh last year :D

edinburghreg3gx.jpg

• Advertisement

I took this pic on the Isle of Man a few weeks ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I saw what I thought was an excellent plate recently, one which would not be possible on a UK plate!
    98-C-70 on a '98 Volvo C70 - perfect!

Yep, thats a nice cherished reg for the C70.

I'd bet a Citroen dealership in Cork will be booking 06-C-3, 06-C-5,... etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i donot know how people can fork out so much money. here if u want a number plate to ur spec its only 350 yoyos. eg 06-d-69:D

drdre wrote:
    i donot know how people can fork out so much money. here if u want a number plate to ur spec its only 350 yoyos. eg 06-d-69:D

True, it's a lot of money for a registration.
    However, unlike our current system, they get to keep the reg when they sell the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Silvera wrote:

"A Number plate set to be the world's most expensive has gone on sale - at £500,000.
    The end is nigh and we're all going to HELL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Silvera wrote:

Incidentially, the ex-Kilkenny reg 'VIP 1' (on the UK register since the late 70's) is one of the most expensive plates over there!

I remember reading about this plate, it was on a Jaguar XJ6 in the early
    70s , but there were only two or 3 such plates issued with Vip. However
    the fact that it is on the UK DVLA makes it an illegal plate because there
    is no such area as ip in any part of the United Kingdom.

Did you know that a car registered in Ireland before I922 does not have
    to change its plates once it goes to the UK.

Another plate unique to Ireland is GTi and of course that famous one,
    HiV.

With regards to Citroens, yes they are all snapped up literally although you have regard bmws too. However I am still thinking if the lord mayor is going to use a Citroen CI as putting it on a Mondeo means that the ordinary person
    loses out.......

junkyard wrote:
    I suppose we'll never see personalised plates here considering we have the stupid looking EU plates that date a car the minute they're fitted, even though the government could make a mint out of them.

I think its time the government now got rid of those Euro plates, they are everywhere and they are boring and people should be given a choice between the old system and the new system.

I notice in Germany that Old cars have to be re-registered so the I935 plate
    silver and black plate on a Mercedes 540K supercharger now has to have a Euro plate with H at the end of it.

G Luxel wrote:
    However the fact that it is on the UK DVLA makes it an illegal plate because there is no such area as ip in any part of the United Kingdom.

Did you know that a car registered in Ireland before I922 does not have
    to change its plates once it goes to the UK.

There are literally hundreds (maybe thousands?!) of Irish registrations now on the UK register. Irish reg plates could be transferred to the UK register up until circa the late 1960's/early 70's.

UK registrations could be registered here until the early 1960's.
    If you ever attend any IVVCC rally/event, you will see many old english plates on cars which have Irish tax and insurance discs on display.

Examples of Irish plates on the UK register (and selling prices!) ......

OZO 616 (£600)
    ZJ 288 (£6,750)
    FBI 660 (£9,750)
    7575 NI (£2,595)
    IE 4724 (£2,595)
    636 IF (£3,000)
    IT 7 (£16,000)
    IT 1 (£82,500)
    ZY 1 (£poa) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

IrishRover wrote:
    I saw what I thought was an excellent plate recently, one which would not be possible on a UK plate!
    98-C-70 on a '98 Volvo C70 - perfect!

I think I used see that car near Baggot street...

Darragh

That is unfair. So if i bought a car in the UK i have to register it, whereas
    if i export a car, the new owner can keep the plate.............. What happens
    if the UK irish plates get a parking fine or a speeding ticket? Are they exempt?

G Luxel wrote:
    That is unfair. So if i bought a car in the UK i have to register it, whereas
    if i export a car, the new owner can keep the plate.............. What happens
    if the UK irish plates get a parking fine or a speeding ticket? Are they exempt?

What ???

Those Irish plates I listed above are now on the UK register (and probably have been since the 1970's), so the owner can recieve a parking/speeding fine just like anybody else.

Likewise the ex-UK registrations (now in Ireland) are on the Irish register.

Irish cars exported to the UK can no longer retain their Irish registrations - they have to be re-registered in the UK (usually with an age-related UK reg).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

*Thread resurrection alert* :)

Another good one: Saw 89-D-412 on an '89 Ferrari 412 this morning.
    Like this: http://www.autodrome-cannes.com/ferrari_412_troisquart.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

The government would probably use personal plates against us by adding another ridiculous Tax on top of another, or the Plate would increase the OSMP value for VRT :mad:

IrishRover wrote:
    *Thread resurrection alert* :)

Another good one: Saw 89-D-412 on an '89 Ferrari 412 this morning.
    Like this: http://www.autodrome-cannes.com/ferrari_412_troisquart.JPG

i hate the look of that ferrari.:mad:

a plate i really love it 06 G71 (VW GTI)
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=375757

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

G Luxel wrote:
    I think its time the government now got rid of those Euro plates

I somehow doubt that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Very nice Drdre, those black screw caps came in handy, but is it legal?
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html#id3145889

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Very nice Drdre, those black screw caps came in handy, but is it legal?
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/vehicle_registration_numbers.html#id3145889

even its not legal.it doesnot make a difference as you can just say it looks like 06 G 71 to the guards.i wouldnot think they would annoy you it it.but if i get a golf i would love a plate like this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    even its not legal.it doesnot make a difference as you can just say it looks like 06 G 71 to the guards.i wouldnot think they would annoy you it it.but if i get a golf i would love a plate like this

You wouldn't love it when you were trying to sell the car!

Anan1 wrote:
    You wouldn't love it when you were trying to sell the car!

what do you mean,people would buy it because plate looks cool.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've seen a Lexus LS430 with the perfect reg: 05-LS-430

qz wrote:
    I've seen a Lexus LS430 with the perfect reg: 05-LS-430

these plates are kind of normal.but i would love a plate like enzo on a enzo.

also theres a garage beside me and the guys name is jim rock.his plates are like jim ko because he was a boxer.thats a good plate as its you name on it.;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    what do you mean,people would buy it because plate looks cool.;)

Granted, some people would love it. Most potential buyers, though, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. One man's cool is another man's chav.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Granted, some people would love it. Most potential buyers, though, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. One man's cool is another man's chav.;)

ah i would think there would be alot of people interested in those type plates.my uncle is trying to get 07 d 777, and there is loads of people after that number.its just what people are into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

On Guernsey, I seen a 911 Turbo with the plate "911"

Its the best ive seen.

S.

Advertisement