Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite NES games?

Options
  • 27-11-2005 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I decided there's no better way to kill a boring Sunday than playing old NES games hehe.. I'm playing Wizards and Warriors 3 at the moment, what a classic, other good ones are Mario 3, Digger T Rock, California Games

So what are your favourite NES games? Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well Mario 3 was a great game, I'd also recommend Boulder Dash, very enjoyable game.
    Any Zelda game was great fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    Mario 3, Digger T Rock, California Games

never played that wizards onebut i reccommend those 3 defiinitely as they are amazing.... also my favourite nes game is probably snake rattle and roll.

others:
    wrath of black manta
    blue shadow
    mega man 2
    double dragon 2 and 3
    duck tales
    captain planet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

duck hunt, blue shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Megaman V
    Super Mario 2 & 3
    Zelda II
    Bayou Billy
    Duckhunt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Metroid was okay, impossible without the cheats though.
    Elite was cool.
    Digger T "rocks"
    Bayou Billy
    Duckhunt
    Double Dragon

I still have my NES, i might take it out one of these days. I think I have 10 games for it with Zelda and Elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The first Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles game, with the top-down view before you enter the sewers.. not the 'arcade' versions that came later, never cared much for them.

Mario 1 and 3, obviously. Great games to this day.

Digger T. Rock was great too.

I liked Spy vs Spy.. I know there was about a thousand versions over the various machines but I only ever played the NES one. Great old skool multiplayer.

Rad Racer. Great for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Rad Gravity
    Maniac Mansion
    Faxanadu
    I seem to remember the Captain Planet game being surprisingly fun
    Marble Madness! (Super Monkey Ball can SMB)
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission (Rainbow Six can also SMB)

Marble Madness is mega cool, 2 player stylee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Yeah! Marble Madness omg memories.. I nearly cleared that Wizards & Warriors 3 tonight except the last boss (Malkil) is impossible! FFS grr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Wizards and Warriors 3 such a great game so boring but addictave. I remember liking a game called ikirai warrior or something like that and probotector was great fun. Punch out was classic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    captain planet

That game was a load of my arse.

As for mine, Mario 3 is probably the best NES game ever. Absolutely seminal platformer that for me is only beaten by Super Mario World. Megaman 2 is the best of the series and 3 was rather good as well. Later games lost their spark. Castlevania 2 Draculas Curse was another fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd have to say the teenage mutant ninja turtles as well, that was class, had a great swimming level in it and for some reason donatello's bo (stick) was twice as destructive as any sword or sai... strange.

Also california games was an awesome game...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I preferred the excellent conversion of the streets of rage type TMNT game but the first TMNT game is a classic. Lots of variation in gameplay throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

super mario bros 3 & battle of olympus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Metroid was okay, impossible without the cheats though.
    Elite was cool.
    Digger T "rocks"
    Bayou Billy
    Duckhunt
    Double Dragon

I still have my NES, i might take it out one of these days. I think I have 10 games for it with Zelda and Elite.

rare-ness

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

As a previous poster said.... Maniac Mansion !

That game was great. I remember buying it, it cost 67 punts and that was alot of money for a game at that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

67 punts for Maniac Mansion!, haha!, I picked that up for about £10 in Sainsburys in 1994!. MM was a fantastic game and in my opinion it was better than its sequel (Day of The Tentacle)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Kung Fu, a classic.

and captain skyhawk

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

So many of my games have been mentioned, Battle of Olympus beat the hell out of me, Trog really took up a lot of my time. Any of the Mario or Megaman games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Laguna wrote:
    67 punts for Maniac Mansion!, haha!, I picked that up for about £10 in Sainsburys in 1994!. MM was a fantastic game and in my opinion it was better than its sequel (Day of The Tentacle)..
    i hated manian mansion i played it in day of the tentacle (you could go up to your mans room and use the computer) but day of the tentacle is one of my all time favourite games
    i think dott would be perfect on the ds anyone agree especially with the stylus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tylrpower

super mario bros 3 and Duckhunt.......Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I remember getting Star Wars on the NES. Such an expensive game at the time but it was so much fun. Remember thinking the graphics were the business back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

Super Mario!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah that turtles game was class.. played it recently and it brought back so many memories.. couldnt get past level 2 though, when you're on top of the dam..

anyone ever play Robo Warrior... strange little game where you control a robo, umm, warrior and go around planting bombs to blow up hedges and shooting flying skulls..

The Adams Family - NES

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Definetly Super Mario Bros. Possibly my favourite video game of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gremlins 2 was great fun back in day when i had for the nes

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Mario 3, then Kirbys adventure. Ahhh the nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Teenage mutant ninja turtles.
    Mario 3
    Probotector
    Zelda 2

All the business!

I remember I got a loan of a game with a weird long red-haired guy who could kill people with his hair, which was great aswell, can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement