Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall-zonealarm

Options
  • 26-11-2005 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hi,

just downloaded the free version of zonealarm on to my pc.

it's installed and the pc has been restarted.

however, the only way i can get it off my screen is by shutting the firewall down, thus defeating the purpose of having it.

any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobt

You need to go into preferences in overview and take the tick out of load on startup. Then you can start it like any other program. When you have it started just click the X in the top right hand corner, you will get a small window up and just click ok on it and zone alarm should then run from task bar. If you want to close it compleatly just right click the icon on taskbar and left click shutdown zone alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

that's the one,

thanks a million.

k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

kraggy wrote:
    hi,

just downloaded the free version of zonealarm on to my pc.

it's installed and the pc has been restarted.

however, the only way i can get it off my screen is by shutting the firewall down, thus defeating the purpose of having it.

any ideas?

thanks

em - no - After you first install and reboot - za ui reappears for some basic set-up stuff. If you click the X - a box appears explaining a few things - simply click 'Do Not Show Again' tick box and za will close to your sys tray and will run in the back ground.
    During initial first use za needs to 'Learn' what programs you use regularly on the internet and give two levels of request display asking 'XXXX is trying to access the internet - do you want to allow this'. If you do allow - click yes other wise click 'no' and tick the little box so it won't keep asking you to allow access each time the program is used.

By double clicking the icom in the tray you can re-open the main program interface to review program settings and to view logs etc. Right clicking it will allow you to engage your internet locks, program shutdown etc

Theres no need to switch it off as you say that defeats the object. Try reading the instructions more as they are very clear really and are made with the novice user in mind....The tutorial (Which will run by default unless you switch it off) is quite good and gives clear details with graphical examples included.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobt

Have to disagree with you there m8. There is no need to have zone alarm running if your not on the internet and you have closed your connection. All it does then is use up system resourses. This can slow your pc down if you have a lot of apps running in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Bobt wrote:
    Have to disagree with you there m8. There is no need to have zone alarm running if your not on the internet and you have closed your connection. All it does then is use up system resourses. This can slow your pc down if you have a lot of apps running in the background.

When you consider that the resource usage when not connected to the internet is minimal it really makes little difference. You'll gain a bit when playing games but thats all and then that wouldn't be very noticible.
    The added reason for allowing it to run is to stop embedded dialers within some programs locking up your coms port, requiring a restart to free it. Would happen more on some of the older programs but due to the request authorization feature in za this is now less likely as the program would be blocked from using the port.

As you say though it is really only for internet use and can be switched of when not connected though that requires you switch it back on each time you connect - majority of people forget due to an ingrained complacency on internet security.

Far safer to just leave it switched on and stay safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement