Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chronicles of Narnia - What order to read them in?

Options
  • 26-11-2005 5:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just bought all The Chronicles of Narnia books. There is quite alot of speculation as to what order to read the books in. I bought a bumper volume with all seven books in it and it has them in chronological order namely 1. The Magician's Nephew; 2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe; 3. The Horse and His Boy; 4. Prince Caspian; 5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; 6. The Silver Chair; 7. The Last Battle.

Now many people say that they should be read in the order that they were published which was 1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe; 2. Prince Caspian; 3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; 4. The Silver Chair; 5. The Horse and His Boy; 6. The Magician's Nephew; 7. The Last Battle.

As the first movie that they made is "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" it kinda seems to me that they should be read in the order that they were published. I would love to know peoples opinion on this because I want to get the full worth out of these brilliant stories.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I read them in the order they were published so that's the way it should be done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Completely off topic but thought it might be of interest.Narnia in Westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I enjoyed reading them in the order they were published. If you choose to read them like this, you'll begin with the children and move with them from the "real" world into the realm of Narnia.

C.S. Lewis didn't think it really mattered that much in which order they were read. http://www.aslan.demon.co.uk/cslfaq.htm#_Toc5085877

Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

He didn't think it really mattered, but he did suggest a reading order, and that's the order that the books appear when bundled in a bumper pack - Magician's Nephew, Lion Witch Wardrobe, Horse and his Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Last Battle.

This makes the most chronological sense - in that the books are all chronological! :D

When I read them originally years and years ago, I read Lion first, then the rest in the same order above, and Magician's Nephew was in there somewhere, but I can't really remember where.

If you're reading it yourself, I'd probably read them in the recommended chronological order. If you're getting a young child to read them, I'd start with Lion and then stick to the proper order. The truth is that, in my opinion, Magicians Nephew just isn't that good - especially if you read it as the first book in the series. It's great at explaining the back story in Narnia, but I think it can take some of the charm away from Lion if you read it before you read Lion. Its definitely the weakest of all the novels, so if you want to get a young child hooked, best start with Lion instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd personally read them from "The Lion.." onwards and leave "The Magicians Nephew" till last. I just feel that it's the weakest of the books.

• Advertisement
Advertisement