Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien vs Predator Unrated!

Options
  • 26-11-2005 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Is this the version we are waiting for... i think not by the sounds of it but it may be better than what was in the theatre. When this movie was released and all the bad reviews were made i read that an 'unrated' version was going to be released with all of the good stuff left in.

I think that this is what they were referring to... here is an amazon.com review excerpt:

Better than the Theatrical Release, but not by much., November 23, 2005
    Reviewer: J. Maynard (USA) - See all my reviews

For those of you who see "AVP Unrated" and think "Blood, Gore, Language, Violence, and Nudity"...THINK AGAIN!
    Where there was a few flecks of blood, there is now a gallon. Where there were two "campy" scenes, there is now only one, But this is not even an "R" rating version of the film, evidenced further by the PG-13 rating on the back of the DVD case.
    This fild should have stuck with the "Director's Cut" name and cut out the "Unrated" label, since in my opinion it does not deserve it. If you can swallow the plausability of the story even a litte bit, the this version is more serious and bloodier than the theatrical release, but not by much. "Campy" scenes still abound. Extra footage, edited in Deleted scenes from the Theatrical DVD version and a few other scene changes make this version a lot more fun to own than the first, but hard core fans of the original movies may still find this title a little wimpy.

I will probably buy this anyway as it may be an improvement... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I will probably buy this anyway as it may be an improvement... :)

I bloody hope it's an improvement!!

This film frustrated me so much. The storyline sounded good, it has the aliens (excellent) and predators (ok).

But somehow... it was... funny.

That scene where the woman and the predator look at each other and then run off together. It's got to be the most ridiculous scene I've ever seen in the cinema!!

Remember in the 80's and early 90's the studios didn't care if a movie was 18s? I wish those days could return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

dublindude wrote:
    Remember in the 80's and early 90's the studios didn't care if a movie was 18s? I wish those days could return.

No sh**! It is ridiculous how even horror movies are being reduced to PG rated. It seems like every summer there are at least 6 stupid PG rated horror movies. I agree with you entirely, this movie is a product of the studios wanting to make as much money as possible.

Oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

dublindude wrote:

Yea, my dad's always saying that there are no 18's movies out anymore - its all 15A bullplop. They just want to make more money - artless fuc*ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

dublindude wrote:
    I bloody hope it's an improvement!!

What's that saying about turds? Something about polishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's that saying about turds? Something about polishing?

You can cover **** with perfume but its still ****.....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Both Predator and Alien franchises put out really violent films, it's still beyond me how they could have combined both and put out a PG13 movie. And I'm guessing a few bits and pieces retrieved from the editing floor won't do a whole lot more for it.
    Still, it was an alright movie......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I actually enjoyed it. Its supposed to be tacky, cheesy, etc. It was certainly no where near as bad as Freddy V Jason. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

garred wrote:
    I actually enjoyed it. Its supposed to be tacky, cheesy, etc. It was certainly no where near as bad as Freddy V Jason. :(

Yes, but think about what they could have done.

They had so many options. They chose the mongoloid route. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was terribly disappointed with AvP. And I wasn't even all that looking forward to it. Predator was one of my favourite movies when I was younger, but AvP seemed to be directed by a ten year old boy who got one twenty minute class on marketting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

but AvP seemed to be directed by a ten year old boy who got one twenty minute class on marketting.

that would be the same ten year old who did resident evil.

What pisses me off about AvP is that every Alien film before, even the ones considered to be bad had a director at the helm who had his own identity and style in his filmmaking.

Cameron, Fincher, Scott and Jeunet all brought unique visual and dramatic elements to the franchise, now some of it failed, but at least the series had some integrety.

Then AVP gets stuck with Paul Anderson. A director who's last film that even comes close to having any integrety was Event Horizan oh so many years ago. Since which he has only turn by the books marketing films. He brought nothing unique to the series, everything he put in was there because it was the 'in' thing in filmmaking at the time. Shaky camera's, bullet time, PG 13 rating. Its actually quite infuriating when before this the studio's were happy to take risky directors like Jeunet.

B8sterd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Then AVP gets stuck with Paul Anderson. A director who's last film that even comes close to having any integrety was Event Horizan

I did not know he direted Event Horizon! I am having a moment of ultimate horror right now... i may actually have enjoyed a movie that Paul Anderson made!

Dun Dun DUUUUN! :eek:

So i wonder if there is any other movies of his that i liked:

imdb

No, no there is not! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

I really didn't like AVP, and this just sounds like another cash-in dvd release, and look, ITS JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dublindude wrote:

thankfully classic movies dont become **** with age :)

AVP gave me nightmares it was so bad and now they have the cheek to bring out an unrated version with a PG-13 rating in the states. lol, nice try Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is it no surprise he produced the upcoming dead or alive movie...god the horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    that would be the same ten year old who did resident evil.

What pisses me off about AvP is that every Alien film before, even the ones considered to be bad had a director at the helm who had his own identity and style in his filmmaking.

Cameron, Fincher, Scott and Jeunet all brought unique visual and dramatic elements to the franchise, now some of it failed, but at least the series had some integrety.

Then AVP gets stuck with Paul Anderson. A director who's last film that even comes close to having any integrety was Event Horizan oh so many years ago. Since which he has only turn by the books marketing films. He brought nothing unique to the series, everything he put in was there because it was the 'in' thing in filmmaking at the time. Shaky camera's, bullet time, PG 13 rating. Its actually quite infuriating when before this the studio's were happy to take risky directors like Jeunet.

B8sterd

I'd agree with you there, and I'd even go one further by saying that Anderson also brought plagiarism, as the whole premise of AvP seems a little close to that of HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness for it to be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i liked AVP, it was a fun no brainer

i really liked freddy verses jason, it was a fun no brainer

come on ill take you all on!!!! :)

EDIT: also liked res evil and its sequel (thought the first was far better than the second)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

when the theatrical version was released, anderson said that they cut out "all the best bits" because they weren't done in time (graphics and what not). he promised a new edition.

upon reading the title i had hope. now reading about the film i have to say i'm just insulted by anderson, and fox in general. they ruined two perfectly violent franchises and catered for little kids who think "alien" is "boring"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest folks, they could have made Rocky Vs Alien seem more plausable. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

correct my if im wrong but wasnt there meant to be a

freddy vs jason vs ash movie?? imagine how cheesily fantastic that would have been

Advertisement