Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Mods For Dummies ?

Options
  • 25-11-2005 3:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows any good sites that go through the basics of car mods, what various things are, what effects they have, how to fit them etc ?

Or maybe we could get our own one going here, if someone would be be kind enough to explain to me what an induction kit is, the difference between one and a performance air filter, what kind of effect it would have etc, that would be a good start :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The basics mod for any car include:

Induction kit.

Your car has an Air filter that sucks cold air into the engine so it can burn fuel and so it keeps cool. An induction kit sucks more air into the engine giving it more power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/sportcarae/cleancrexy005.jpg
    It's that long pipe thing with the filter at the end.

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/7gtech/images2/images/P0005101.jpg
    The stanard looks like this, it's the black box on the right of the engine bay which is actually a cover for the air filter.

Exhaust pipe.

A standard exhaust has 2 boxes on the pipe itself. These have kind of a honeycomb inside that filters the fumes. However the standard causes resistance, while a performance exhaust it allows the fumes to pass out from the engine quicker giving more power again.

Header/manifold:

This is the bit that connects your engine to the exhaust pipe. As standard the pipes are usually curvy and long where as a performance part basically cuts that out allowing the fumes to vent from the engine quicker so more Break Horse Power (bhp).

http://www.2kracing.com/images/4_into_1.jpg

ECU:

This dainty little number tells the car how much fuel to pump into the engine. You can buy certain brands like a'pexi ECU's which you can get programed to the fuel curve of your car making it more efficiant & faster.

those are 4 basics you'll come across.

If you want to know more google performace clutch, ECU, gearbox, turbo, supercharger and 'go faster stripes'.

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

stevenmu wrote:
    , the difference between one and a performance air filter, what kind of effect it would have etc:)

There both the same thing really.The main differences in kits being some are car specific while others are universal ie just a cone filter that clips on where your airbox is.

They can increase bhp due to more cold air being sucked in but they also can work against you if there's no heat shielding and its sucking in hot air.They also give a nice growl type noise upon acceleration.

Generally on smaller engined cars they make little if at all any difference whatsoever (apart from noise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

For best effect of an induction kit, it should be accompanied by a CAI (cold air intake). This generally means moving the filter as far away as possible from the engine. As you can see in the picture below

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/waterford_meets/lee_vti_itr/DSCN0803.jpg

Typically gives an improved throttle response and maybe a 2 - 5hp gain depending on the engine.

That above pictures not a cold air intake,cold air intakes have the filter sitting in behind the bumper

http://www.streetsports.com/Photos/Vehicles/Honda-Acura/Civic%20blue/Civic%20Images/AEM_cold_air_intake.jpg

The problem with the above and cai's is that they generally kill low down torque(which is where hondas suffer already)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

eireal wrote:
    That above pictures not a cold air intake,cold air intakes have the filter sitting in behind the bumper

http://www.streetsports.com/Photos/Vehicles/Honda-Acura/Civic%20blue/Civic%20Images/AEM_cold_air_intake.jpg

The problem with the above and cai's is that they generally kill low down torque(which is where hondas suffer already)

I have a picture with a better perspective....it also happens to have the owners reg number in it, which is why it wasnt posted......there was a section removed from the lower bumper to act as an intake for this aswell......not sure if I have the right pics though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thanks, that's cleared things up a bit, I already have a perfomance filter fitted instead of the stock airbox, and was wondering what difference an induction kit might make. I was under the impression, don't know why, that induction kits actively draw air in, not to the same degree as a turbo obviously, but more than a regular filter which is really just allowing air through. I guess it's not going to make any real kind of difference (especially considering I've only got a 1.4).

What car is it?Afaik the K+N direct panel replacements boast the same increase as a cone filter but its all down to what car it is really.

I used to have a long arm induction kit with heat shielding and cold air feed on my civic and apart from noise it made the car more sluggish at low revs so i just put the standard air box back on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A Leon 1.4 75bhp, and it is actually very sluggish at low revs, I might try putting the standard airbox back on and see if it makes it any better, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

stevenmu wrote:
    Thanks, that's cleared things up a bit, I already have a perfomance filter fitted instead of the stock airbox, and was wondering what difference an induction kit might make. I was under the impression, don't know why, that induction kits actively draw air in, not to the same degree as a turbo obviously, but more than a regular filter which is really just allowing air through. I guess it's not going to make any real kind of difference (especially considering I've only got a 1.4).

Stick with your performance (ITG etc) panel filter as opposted to an Open Cone if its performance your after.

As the above posters rightly pointed out, an open cone will generally LOSE you power, but give you a growl as your throttle body opens (acceleration).

I changed to an Open Cone (with a decent CAI) from a performance panel filter just to see what it was like and im not impressed with the results. I am getting a slightly (not really noticable unless you actually keep record) lower MPG, Lower Top end speed. The only 'plus' is a nice growl when you floor it... which isint me really, so im gonna stick an aftermarket panel filter back on.

Hope this helps...

Advertisement