Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spyware Software

Options
  • 25-11-2005 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

:confused: Hi I'm looking for help. I play counter strike and yesterday my ping went up to over 600, I went to the counter strike web site to see what the problem could be and they reckon it's too much spy ware on my computer and recommended I go to www.spyware.co.uk. I'm only getting started with my computer so I'm kind of new to this. I have been conned on-line before and was wondering if there was any sites you could recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Google, download and install the following programs:

Ad-Aware (http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10399602.html)
    Spyboy: Search & Destroy (http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/1043809773/1/spybotsd14.exe)
    HijackThis (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip)

Do a scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot (be sure to update them on first launch).

And then do launch HiJack This and click 'Do a system scan and save logfile' and post the log file here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check out the stickies on the windows or computers forums for other cleaners.
    you will also need an antivirus and a firewall like zonealarm - search in google using antivirus firewall site:www.boards.ie

Also have a read of the charter this forum is about security concepts and novel exploits.

Using windows without a firewall, or using Internet Explorer for general web browsing without using spyware blocking and removing tools, means other people have already put software on your machine. It's no more a security issue than leaving the front door open when you go on holidays and then asking why was stuff stolen and what could have been done to prevent it.

A quick read of the recent threads would have supplied you with most of the help you asked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

heres mine! My pc is slow as hell lately too. Im on 56k which doesnt help, but the pc itself is slow, not just the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Actually I have this and it's sweet.

I've double posted this already today in another topic but I feel it's more relivant here.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

It runs multiple scripts from these products ::

Ad-Aware SE 1.06 Personal (Freeware)
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
    Spy Sweeper 3 en 4
    Spyware Doctor 3.2
    CWShredder 2.15
    SpywareBlaster 3.4
    Spyware Block List
    NOD32 AntiThreat 2.5
    Sysclean Package
    SuperDAT VirusScan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobt

I used to use ad aware and spybot search and destroy but found they were not clearing my system properly, and every time i would run them again they would still find the same problems. Tried lots of other programs but none were clearing the problems. Cool web search was one of the worst problems. My computer was very slow at this point. Was about to try one of those long winded solutions of posting a hijack log on a forum and asking for help, but decided to try Spyware Doctor which i had to pay for. Well it was the best money i ever spent. I have not looked back since. My computer is now back to its best and spyware doctor even stops the spyware attacks from happening again with its ongaurd function. It cleared cool web search, homesearch and even cleared up the startup tab in config utility which had loads of spyware entries. Just run it 2 or 3 times and re-start your computer each time. Hope this is of help to somebody

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

http://www.ewido.net

Fantastic program ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Had this problem last night very nasty virus! I managed to sort it out on Xp Pro heres how. This info assumes you have windows 'System Restore' enabled
    1)Plug out your network cable.
    2) Restart your machine and as soon as the screen comes to life tap F8 repeatedly.
    3) Choose to start windows in safe mode.
    4) when you enter safe mode it will ask you if you want to use 'System Restore' choose Yes (in this case I think choosing no actually enables it).
    5 Restart your machine and as soon as the screen comes to life tap F8 repeatedly.
    6)Choose to start windows in safe mode.
    7)System restore pops up - choose to system restore.
    8)The machines restarts and you enter system restore.
    9) Choose a restore point 4/5 days back or more if your machine has been giving recent trouble.
    10) Machine now good.
    11) Use your virus scanner and have a good clean if needed.
    12) Open Internet Explorer and go to tools>Internet Options>Delete Cookies also delete 'Files'
    13) Plug in your network cable download Ad Aware free edition and clean off any garbage.
    14) Thank your lucky stars for a close shave. Say a prayer of thanks to gods and to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Im sorry in having gate crashed on this thread, but maybe 1 of ye can tell me what that log i posted means in english. ANd what things a re mentioned in the log, that i should address.
    Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Spfeno1

layke wrote:
    Actually I have this and it's sweet.

I've double posted this already today in another topic but I feel it's more relivant here.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

It runs multiple scripts from these products ::

Ad-Aware SE 1.06 Personal (Freeware)
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
    Spy Sweeper 3 en 4
    Spyware Doctor 3.2
    CWShredder 2.15
    SpywareBlaster 3.4
    Spyware Block List
    NOD32 AntiThreat 2.5
    Sysclean Package
    SuperDAT VirusScan

Layke,

Is there an English version to compliment this Dutch version. Tried searching on download.com but to no avail (if anyone has any better free download sites please speak up)

Thanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭sobberandclean

just bought spyware doctor .
    thre amount of crxp i found was unreal .
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im sorry in having gate crashed on this thread, but maybe 1 of ye can tell me what that log i posted means in english. ANd what things a re mentioned in the log, that i should address.
    Thanks in advance :)

Use this analyser to check your log http://www.hijackthis.de/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Spfeno1 wrote:
    Layke,

Is there an English version to compliment this Dutch version. Tried searching on download.com but to no avail (if anyone has any better free download sites please speak up)

Thanx

Not that i've found yet my man, however the download button is on the top right and it's not too hard to figure out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

what about microsoft antispyware? I consider a great little tool with a nice UI.
    cant go wrong with it.free download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

what about microsoft antispyware? I consider a great little tool with a nice UI.
    Its ok, though MS have been known to have gotten into bed with a few spyware vendors. Still better to have that than nothing at all, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Go to www.download.com and search for...
    ad-aware or spybot..... i use ad-aware myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When the scan finishes, you get a list of the "threats" on your system, and the option to choose what to do for each one (Ignore/Remove/Always Ignore/Etc). MS deliberately sets the default action to "Ignore" for spyware where MS has a vested interest. Claria for example. In this way, normal users will assume that it's not spyware or malware since it's set to ignore by default.

It is a great tool, but functionally useless in inexperienced hands because it doesn't properly clean out the system.

Advertisement