Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humanism!

• 24-11-2005 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hey all,:D

I have recently gotten interested in humanism. If you don't know what it is it is "a belief in human effort rather than religion". I find it much easier to believe in a humanic force rather than a god/goddess or gods/goddesses, etc. It can be classified as atheism or agnosticism. For those who are humanist, know more about it than myself (as I'm only new to it) or want to find out more about it, you may post on this forum.

Daniel:)

P.S. You're right I won't proselyte any more, just got carried away. Now lets discuss humanism!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Surely not another post proselytising the Unitarian Church :rolleyes:

You’ve done this in nearly every subforum under religion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

UU wrote:
    Hey all,:D

I have recently gotten quite interested in philosophy and humanism. I was brought up Catholic but in my post-Confirmation years I have started to question faith. So far, I don't really believe in a "God" as such but more of an Energy, which I believe, created existence and is a force that lives in everything. Instead of believing in Messiahs, salvation and Gods/Goddesses, in believe that what people call God is in fact an effort that all humankind possesses - both virtuous and evil. I have joined the Unitarian Church in Dublin and have found it to be highly philosophical, thought-provocative, informative and inspiring. It isn't actually Christian but a bit of everything (see my Unitarian Universalist thread under "Spirituality") as everyone can hold diverse beliefs and there's no dogma. Some people there are atheists, others Christians and some are humanists. Perhaps I should consider myself one, as humanism is defined as "A system of belief that centres on humans and their values, capacities, and worth". Rather interesting, eh? :rolleyes:

Anyone who considers themselves humanist or anyone who would like to find out more about it, you are welcome to post on this thread. :)

Daniel;)

AHHH Stop proselytising.
    It's not allowed...well when there is a charter it won't be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Starlight610

Ahh, that's not converting, he was just telling about his beliefs. If that's what you call proselytising, then you must of never walked past the Scientologist place on Abbey Steet. The fellow says "Will you take a free personality test" and then he shows me the results of another "patient" who took it and makes out that the person didn't know there was something wrong with him before the test which was rubbish. The scientologist starts ranting on about dianetics and L. Ron Hubard so I walked off because he was trying to convert me to a load of gibberish! EEK!

Anyway, let me get this straight, humanism is a belief in humans rather than god? I suppose in a way some sort of force exists in all of us. Sounds interesting, is anyone out there humanist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it ain't to bad on the occassion of new board very specific to his interest, i think?

I read some of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846689
    I think I can relate to some of what ramon said?

but im still confused, i thought humanism wa...s there defo no god, its not even a question worth asking, type thing. Is UU not agnosticism if one needs to define it.

Is UU for people who still feel the need to celebrate?

(to gather and celebrate)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He took out ye olde proselytizing, good stuff :)
    When I did the belief-o-matic I got 100% secular humanist.
    It says that those that fall into that category are usually atheist or agnostic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

It says that those that fall into that category [humanist ] are usually atheist or agnostic.

I always thought that humanisim has nothing to do with religion at all. It deals with people and the way people deal with each other irrespective of weither there is/is not a God:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

whats humanistic humanism?

all those blaa humanisms are conjunctions... ie not simply humanism, therefore UU isn't humanism its religious-hangover humanism

i bet rev hellbound would describe me catholic atheist :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Starlight610

whats humanistic humanism?

all those blaa humanisms are conjunctions... ie not simply humanism, therefore UU isn't humanism its religious-hangover humanism

i bet rev hellbound would describe me catholic atheist :rolleyes:

Although, I don't know too much about Unitarianism as I was brought up a Reform Jew, I do know that some members of it consider themselves Humanists (you know with the diverse beliefs and everything). It could be considered Religious Humanism which "emerged out of Ethical Culture, Unitarianism, and Universalism. Today, many Unitarian-Universalist congregations and all Ethical Culture societies describe themselves as humanist in the modern sense."

Anyway, I suppose I'd consider myself a Humanist-Jew (lol!). I rejected the belief of Judaism that God is a being but rather a process in which people can be inspired, not just to search but to recreate for themselves the God that religion banished to heaven, then we truly have become a force for good.

therefore UU isn't humanism its religious-hangover humanism.
    Secular Humanists often refer to Unitarian Universalists as "Humanists not yet out of the church habit." But Unitarian- Universalists sometimes counter that a secular Humanist is simply an "unchurched Unitarian."
    I think it is a bit moreso humanists not yet out of the habit. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement