Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating the litres per hour needed for a WC loop??

Options
  • 24-11-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how u calculate the size of pump u need for a WC loop.

The loop will have 2 maze4's for gfx, 1x 120mm rad , 1x 80mm rad, 1x NB block.

This is all 10mm tubing, i have a 600 l/h pump (i think it is, came with a waterchill kit), will this be enough? There wont be much tubing as all the blocks/pump/tank/rads are all near eachother, there will be no flow going up it is all on a level too.

what you guys think? do i need a 1000 l/h pump or will what i have do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

that'd be grand for a small GFX loop i'd say. esp. with the small tubing.

check out the Pro-Cooling (.net or .com, cant remember) forums, they're good for watercooling advice.

But the real question this thread asks is; What 2 graphics cards will these blocks be going onto?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Jammer wrote:
    that'd be grand for a small GFX loop i'd say. esp. with the small tubing.

check out the Pro-Cooling (.net or .com, cant remember) forums, they're good for watercooling advice.

But the real question this thread asks is; What 2 graphics cards will these blocks be going onto?? :confused:

guess?? :D 2 x 7800gtx 512's of course, heheheh €1400 of gfx power, LOL, so u think a 600 l/h pump is fine for all that?

you're a fruitcake.

They don't seem to run THAT hot, so with small tubing, and two RAD's i'd say it should be ok.

Jammer wrote:
    you're a fruitcake.

They don't seem to run THAT hot, so with small tubing, and two RAD's i'd say it should be ok.

what about the NB on a dfi sli-dr expert? they run hot though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I am not that sure about this, but I would sat that the 80 mil rad would be detramental for performance. What pump exactly? Need to take GPM into account.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    I am not that sure about this, but I would sat that the 80 mil rad would be detramental for performance. What pump exactly? Need to take GPM into account.

why would the 80mm rad be detremental? im adding it to keep temps down, do i need it aswell as the 120mm rad to keep temps ok?

I'd say the 120mm would be fine.

Besides slowing the water down slightly, i don't see how it would do any harm. As long as all the connections are the same size.

AS the water pass's from tube to rad there is a pressure drop, which is bad for flow and temps, the pressure drop would not be worth the extra rad

why do people bother with triple rads? surely that would make the water stop, if what your saying is right?

say, for example (im **** with figures BTW), the pressure is 200 coming from the pump, and the 120MM takes 40 away, then the 80mm would take 30, thats 70 altogether.

A triple rad would take 120?

The rad would be full of water after it runs for 15seconds, all the pump does is push the water along, ands its instantly be replaced.

The above may be completly wrong, but it makes sense in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I dont think 600lph wil cut it. The chipset block will be very restricting? The chipset runs hot but gives off very little heat if you know what i mean. I t can be cooled passivly with ease using a modified artic freezer cpu cooler.
    I have a Hydor L30 (1200lph) with a tdx and two nv-68's and it just about cuts it

• Advertisement

Jammer wrote:
    why do people bother with triple rads? surely that would make the water stop, if what your saying is right?

say, for example (im **** with figures BTW), the pressure is 200 coming from the pump, and the 120MM takes 40 away, then the 80mm would take 30, thats 70 altogether.

A triple rad would take 120?

The rad would be full of water after it runs for 15seconds, all the pump does is push the water along, ands its instantly be replaced.

The above may be completly wrong, but it makes sense in my head!

Need to think in terms of the pressure in the tube then hitting a rad losing pressure then hitting the pipes and constricting the water in a tight flow.Now picture this happening againn and you would see a noticable drop in flow speed. Triple rads are used because a single drop is ok but multiple drops need a more powerfull pump.

so i need a 1000 or 1200 pump???

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

trying it out wont hurt. If it works, great. If it doesnt, no big loss, buy another pump

Dman_15 wrote:
    trying it out wont hurt. If it works, great. If it doesnt, no big loss, buy another pump

or il just buy another pump 1st, are those submerged 1000 ehiems any good??

i think the succeser to the 50z is the best pump for your setup

Dont bother and just use the l20 you have and only the 120mil rad

krazy_8s wrote:
    Dont bother and just use the l20 you have and only the 120mil rad

will it be ableto keep the temps nice on the gfx??? i will be overclocking them to their deaths, with possible volt mods on them

Spend the money on a dual rad then. Who is going to be doing the voltmodding?
    Pencil or proper?

krazy_8s wrote:
    Spend the money on a dual rad then. Who is going to be doing the voltmodding?
    Pencil or proper?

i will be doing it, probably pencil to start with, ive no room in case for dualrad unfortunatly as it is nearly full as is, thats why i was gonna use 120mm and 80mm, looks like a new pump is the solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

when looking for pumps dont just
    look for the lph look for the max head. I would reccomend the swiftech but your pump will keep it cool a newer pump might help a couple of degres thats all

BabyEater wrote:
    when looking for pumps dont just
    look for the lph look for the max head. I would reccomend the swiftech but your pump will keep it cool a newer pump might help a couple of degres thats all

hmmm i think il just go with wat i have, and if its no good il built a whole new loop

Best option would be to lose the chipset block, but I cant see you doing that

krazy_8s wrote:
    Best option would be to lose the chipset block, but I cant see you doing that

;) thats right, heheheh. nah, ive paid for it so i will try it :D

Advertisement