Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it "cool" to not believe?

Options
  • 24-11-2005 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

well folks, is it now cool not to beleive or be against organised religion? when i talk to some people i get the impression off them that they have a belief in (for example) catholicism but when you get into an indepth discussion with them about faith they'll start throwning out comments that make organised religion sound like the plague(by that i mean will go out of their way to disassociate themselves from it). i have no particular faith myself but i dont exactly go out of my way to point it out to people. if it comes up, fine but i wouldn't start a rant about it for no reason. what are your opinions?
    -Funk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I suspect that with the beilivers you refer to there are two types, firstly those who actually believe in a higher power, but not in its representatives here on earth. But secondly there are those who's logic tell's them that such religions are not true, but wish to believe none the less. The second I would say is quite common, the hope for a better out come is quite an attractive idea.

As for how cool it is to knock organised religion's I would say there is some truth to it when looking at the established church (this I say is a combination of peer pressure, gross mishandling of situations by the church and a particular media spin atm). It is worth nothing though that you couldnt say that organised religions are on the decline, the church as it was in ireland yes, but other faiths are gainning followers. People I do think on the whole wish/require something to believe in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Within certain communities it is "cool" to believe in Jesus, or to be even more devout a Muslim than the next guy. I don't see anything wrong with being "proud" of a belief (with the obvious exception of extremists).

It only really damaging if you consider yourself above others because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well I used to bring it up with people quite often enough, cos it's not something people generally talk about, and I'm curious about if people actually believe in this kind of stuff or not, and I like talking about it. I kinda push my own (lack of) beliefs on people, but it's only because I believe that they're the right beliefs.

It has become a bit of a trend recently, though, you're right. Atheism is on the up and up, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

In my school the vast majority are athiests but are divided into those who are just lazy and those with logical reasoning. Those with religious beliefs have such strange views on other matters that you just want to distance your opinion away from theirs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Yeah, rebelling against any authority is often seen as cool for younger people, that's why Jesus was so cool too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

No, I don't think it's 'cool' to be an atheist.

I'm an atheist simply because religion is a load of old **** which has no backing to its claims.

Laguna wrote:
    No, I don't think it's 'cool' to be an atheist.

I'm an atheist simply because religion is a load of old **** which has no backing to its claims.

Theologians might have something to say about that claim Laguna! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

I wouldn't say it's cool, no. I'm not a believer, but I'd never knock someone's beliefs. Live and let live! I'd expect the same tolerance for my lack of belief.

Let them on!

It's a cliché by now, but I for one cannot understand why anyone believes in a higher power/deity when there's so much suffering in the world. War/famine/disease etc., if God existed and loved us all, why does it happen?.

A member of my family has a life threatening disease and informed me that when he was last in hospital, people on his ward with the same condition as him would still jump at the chance to take communion when it came around with a "Praise be to God" offered when taking it, his thoughts were, if God existed and *loved* you, why were you in hospital in the first place with a terrible disease?.

Out of all the religions though, I have to say Christianity is the most ridiculous, non accepting and warmongering of them all.

Fundamentalist Christians go around terrorising the world, but they call it democracy and liberation, fundamentalist Islamics commit terrorist attacks in response to the acts of fundamentalist Christian Governments, yet they are called radicals... extremists.. terrorists.

Laguna wrote:
    Let them on!

It's a cliché by now, but I for one cannot understand why anyone believes in a higher power/deity when there's so much suffering in the world. War/famine/disease etc., if God existed and loved us all, why does it happen?.

Free will of man? Most of the suffering and death is caused by us.
    Laguna wrote:
    Out of all the religions though, I have to say Christianity is the most ridiculous, non accepting and warmongering of them all.

Fundamentalist Christians go around terrorising the world, but they call it democracy and liberation, fundamentalist Islamics commit terrorist attacks in response to the acts of fundamentalist Christian Governments, yet they are called radicals... extremists.. terrorists.

Well, there aren't really any Christian suicide bombers in fairness. Any true Christian who follows the teachings of Christ will not be militant or warmongering at all, since the message is one of peace, love and understanding. Once again, it's men who warp the teachings for their own political reasons - usually to hold onto power and wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Well, there aren't really any Christian suicide bombers
    > in fairness.

Not the most careful-chosen idea! The christians and jews who form the majority of the bomber crews operating in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine, Lebanon don't blow themselves up, but rather return to base, fill up and return to drop a few more bombs, and generally on muslims -- is it any wonder that a tiny minority of muslim hotheads turn into suicide bombers? At least they can only murder once. :mad:

> Any true Christian who follows the teachings of Christ
    > will not be militant or warmongering at all, since the
    > message is one of peace, love and understanding.

Depends on which 'message' you want to find. The Malleus Maleficarum was carefully argued from biblical texts and helped to produce one of the most horrific texts of the late Middle Ages:

http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/
    http://www.malleusmaleficarum.org/mmtoc.html

It's actually worth reading a bit of this, just to get a flavour of how much an endlesslyrambling text can be rendered to suit ones own lethal fantasies.

> Once again, it's men who warp the teachings for their
    > own political reasons - usually to hold onto power and wealth.

You're dead on the button here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Maybe we should start a sticky of facts that are indisputable and agreed to by all. It could become a very handy reference tool.

I nominate Kernel`s little gem

Any true Christian who follows the teachings of Christ will not be militant or warmongering at all, since the message is one of peace, love and understanding. Once again, it's men who warp the teachings for their own political reasons - usually to hold onto power and wealth.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Maybe we should start a sticky of facts that are indisputable and agreed to by all. It could become a very handy reference tool.

Not in here surely, this is the atheism forum is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Laguna wrote:
    Not in here surely, this is the atheism forum is it not?

Its ok, relax, just my idea of a joke :o Maybe I should go to bed, its late

Whoa son, I'm only kidding myself. I just find the whole ideology of religion so fanciful and transparent (for what it is, a method of control), I get really narky about it.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Maybe we should start a sticky of facts that are indisputable and agreed to by all.
    Now that would be the smallest sticky thread ever. :D

Though I would echo the sentiments in Kernel's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

DaveMcG wrote:
    I kinda push my own (lack of) beliefs on people, but it's only because I believe that they're the right beliefs.

Jesus (pun intended), don't do that. You'll get a head wrecker reputation.
    The only thing worse than someone being smug about their beliefs is pushing said beliefs on someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Kernel wrote:
    Theologians might have something to say about that claim Laguna! ;)

They tend to have trouble producing hard facts tho, no?

rsynnott wrote:
    They tend to have trouble producing hard facts tho, no?

That's the nature of the beast unfortunately. Just because something hasn't been proven, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)

Indeed. And that's why I'm a devout follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    Indeed. And that's why I'm a devout follower of the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Really, is he standing here now? What are It's views on abortion?

Kernel wrote:
    Really, is he standing here now? What are It's views on abortion?

SHE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn) will no doubt inform you if you ask her. And learn to use the apostrophe; it really, really isn't that difficult.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> What are It's views on abortion?

Whatever his believers say they are.

Remember to apply your comment from a few days back:
    men warp the teachings for their own political reasons
    ...and look to see if some political hay can be made from a load of public posturing on some irresolvable issue. Like Bush and abortion/gay marriage to pick a couple of topics which will never be sorted out, but where a few well-chosen hooray-words will guarantee plenty of pious votes :)

rsynnott wrote:
    SHE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn) will no doubt inform you if you ask her. And learn to use the apostrophe; it really, really isn't that difficult.

I'll learn how to use the apostrophe if you learn not to be rude and annoy people with pedantic rubbish, deal? ;)

Where is the church of your pink female unicorn, The George?

robindch wrote:
    ...and look to see if some political hay can be made from a load of public posturing on some irresolvable issue. Like Bush and abortion/gay marriage to pick a couple of topics which will never be sorted out, but where a few well-chosen hooray-words will guarantee plenty of pious votes :)

Oooh... can of worms opened here. But in fairness, the Christian/Catholic Church stance on abortion is due to religious doctrine, a belief that all life is sacred, rather than being twisted for a political agenda.

Kernel wrote:
    I'll learn how to use the apostrophe if you learn not to be rude and annoy people with pedantic rubbish, deal? ;)
    Touché.
    Kernel wrote:
    Where is the church of your pink female unicorn, The George?
    The IPU loves all his flock. Not just the hetro ones. ;)

But really, does a building add gravitas to a religion? Scientologists have massive real estate and assets, but I doubt you have much time for them.

The point is that the IPU is as proveable, or disprovable as any other deity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Much like the flying spaghetti monster :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_spaghetti_monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Birdofthread

To attempt an answer to "Funk-You"'s original question (which you have all moved awaaaay from....
    I would say there is a certain idea of "coolness" attached to atheism among the young. not all, mind you. while there are some who would present themselves as athiests loudly in order to look a bit more rebellious/anti-society/anti-conformist/cool there are others who will keep it quiet.
    i dont see how religious beliefs are ever something to boast about. it ends up as "I'm more holy than you!" "HAh, I'm less holy than you!" -quite pathetic.

And a mention of the whole, People Following Christian Teachings Properly issue, if we followed the bible Properly, we'd all be out stoning gay people to death.which would be incredibly wrong.
    who could forget those lovely bible sentences "their blood shall be upon them" ?
    thats not exactly a teaching of love and forgiveness is it? noooooo

and before someone tells me "The bible depends on how you interpret it...etc." please dont bother i have heard that argument many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is this some kind of "new age atheism" (raising my hands and making the international sign for quoting)

It's totally "cool" to believe in what you want. You will always have beliefs.

i.e. Atheist believe their is no god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Kernel wrote:
    That's the nature of the beast unfortunately. Just because something hasn't been proven, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)

as voltire so excellently puts in his article about fanatism:

let someone spread the the news that there exists a giant seventy feet tall : it will not be long before the learned doctors are discussing what color his hair should be, how big its thumb, the size of its nails,their voices rise and they scheme and they fight :
    those who maintain that that the giants little finger is only an inch and a half across will burn at the stake all those who insist that the little has the width of a foot
    'But gentlemen does your giant even exist? enquires a passer by. what a fearful thing to doubt exclaim the quarelling doctors.what blasphemy, what monstrous absurdity
    and then briefly they hold a truce that they may stone the passer by and when they have assinated him with full ceremony, in the most edifying manner they return to fighting each other in the usual way - about the little fingers and the nails.

ahh i love that....

Advertisement