Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duvel Beer - WOW!

Options
  • 24-11-2005 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been drinking Duvel beer tonight.

It's Belgian. 8.5% alcohol.

It's so smooth, mellow and tasty. Really nice!!!

Porterhouse sell it, so do the off license next to "Dublin Business School" on Aungier Street.

If you're near either of the above establishments, I recommend trying this beer!

Mmmmmmmm....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Suggestion noted.
    Although I do like that Chinese beer Porterhouse carry... can't remember the name of it, but it's some damn fine beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Suggestion noted.
    Although I do like that Chinese beer Porterhouse carry... can't remember the name of it, but it's some damn fine beer.

I think I know the one (also do not remember the name.)

If you drink it in those dodgy Chinese restaurants on Moore Street it's dirt cheap! Recently got a meal for 5 people and about 10 beers for €75.

Insane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Tsing Tao?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmmm, that sounds familiar Dadakopf... God I'd love a few bottles of that stuff right about now... oooh and some chilli-bread!

That's it, I'm moving to China... they have my favorite smokes (GungChao or something) and now my favorite beer! ... the most kick-ass noodles aswell.
    Lucky Chinese I say. (apart from all that communism/fascism stuff, but hey, you can't have everything I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

dublindude wrote:
    Hey,

I've been drinking Duvel beer tonight.

It's Belgian. 8.5% alcohol.

It's so smooth, mellow and tasty. Really nice!!!

Porterhouse sell it, so do the off license next to "Dublin Business School" on Aungier Street.

If you're near either of the above establishments, I recommend trying this beer!

Mmmmmmmm....

Bloody hell, I remember that stuff. Hangover from hell but tasty at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Chimay is good stuff too. And for desert a wee glass of Lambic.

Go to Belgium sometime, almost everyone speaks some english, and they have over 500 types of beer!

And if U ever see this stuff anywhere: http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=4 try it. It'll knock yer socks off, a big bottle of that an nice warm summers eve ... ahhhh. A good american beer! Surprising ain't it actually in partnership with Duvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Duvel, great stuff. It'll sit you on your ass quick though.

There's a bar in Brussels called Celtica, if you're over there check it out. It's a laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Duvel is one of my favourite beers, has been for years.
    Now try Delerium Tremens. Also available in the PorterHouse. I think it's slightly nicer than Duvel, although both damn fine ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Berkel

Duvel - lovely stuff!!! Nothing like picking up 2 or 3 of those suckers, watching a movie and having to re-watch the ending coz you fell asleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tsing Dao (pronounced Ching Dow apparently) has become a cult beer in the US. It's rather fab.

• Advertisement

Its spelt Tsing Tao (cos it leads to the joke that it stands for "this sh1t is no good, try another one").
    Will be in china next year, can't wait to try any other local beers. Tsing Tao is not bad, nothing special though, certainly not in the league of the Belgians. Wouldn't buy it in an offie, but happy to drink it in a Chinese restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah yes, Duvel is quite excellent. I've had better, but still a damn fine beglian ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Seriously Duvel is all well and good but Grolsch "Het Kanon" at 11.6% is like the nectar of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Belgian Beer, mmmmmm
    Can't wait to go home for Christmas :)

WDK wrote:
    Seriously Duvel is all well and good but Grolsch "Het Kanon" at 11.6% is like the nectar of the gods.
    Not really so keen on that one to be honest, didn't find it as smooth as any of the high alcohol Belgians I've had.

Are you judging it on it's taste, or it's ABV???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Taste I found it to be absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

kenmc wrote:
    Its spelt Tsing Tao (cos it leads to the joke that it stands for "this sh1t is no good, try another one").
    Will be in china next year, can't wait to try any other local beers. Tsing Tao is not bad, nothing special though, certainly not in the league of the Belgians. Wouldn't buy it in an offie, but happy to drink it in a Chinese restaurant.

Interesting... I've seen it spelled Tsing Dao on labels on the bottle... and also Tsing Tao... does anyone know if they're two different beers? I don't actually know what Tsing Dao/Tao means so they could be two beers...

I like it because I like lager with a meal in a restaurant. I don't like drinking something that has, shall we say, "a lot going on" when I'm eating. I feel like I miss the interesting nuances and full appreciation of the drink if I'm eating while drinking it.

Hence the trappist beers of this world are something I drink on their own, while the lagers are something I drink with food. Tsing Tao/Dao is a great lager with food. Stella's too strong, San Miguel is good, I like Tiger or Cobra with indian, Asahi and Sapporo are also excellent with oriental food.

I would practically never, ever buy six of any of the above named lagers to drink on their own of an evening while playing games, watching DVDs or having an evening in with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I would practically never, ever buy six of any of the above named lagers to drink on their own of an evening while playing games, watching DVDs or having an evening in with friends.
    I tend to never buy more than one or two of the same beers any time I go on a little "beer exploration"

From working in an Off Licence and getting samplers and all I've found the best way to try them all and expand your range of knowledge (gotta know what you're on about when recommending them)

I tried a few Trappist beers a while ago and Duvel is definitly my favourite.

Might head down the offo now and pick up some

steveland? wrote:
    Might head down the offo now and pick up some

I might have to do the same! On my second last bottle now :)

Glad other people like this beer. If you've never tried it, try it! You won't be disappointed.

Sorry to be ranting on about this beer, but I'm drunk after TWO DUVELS.

This is amazing!!! Normally I can drink for a few hours before getting drunk.

THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF BEERS!!!!!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nanoro

Bert Fever wrote:
    There's a bar in Brussels called Celtica, if you're over there check it out. It's a laugh...

Celtica is good alright, and nice and cheap, but the coolest bar in Brussels has got to be Le Cercueil (the coffin), its decorated like a mortuary, with funeral wreaths on the walls, coffins for tables low, level lighting and skulls to drink out of. Great place to go with a few friends for a laugh. Good selection of beers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Try and get your hands on a Duvel glass. Some places have 750ml bottles that come with free glasses for around 7 euro or so.

I like my beers in the correct glasses

steveland? wrote:
    Try and get your hands on a Duvel glass. Some places have 750ml bottles that come with free glasses for around 7 euro or so.

I like my beers in the correct glasses

I stole two from the porterhouse. WOOO! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

nanoro wrote:
    Celtica is good alright, and nice and cheap, but the coolest bar in Brussels has got to be Le Cercueil (the coffin), its decorated like a mortuary, with funeral wreaths on the walls, coffins for tables low, level lighting and skulls to drink out of. Great place to go with a few friends for a laugh. Good selection of beers too

Cool, I'll check that out next time i'm over. I reckon it'd be a good laugh alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

nanoro wrote:

When I heard Celtica I was thinking "not another Paddy O'Bar" but look at the prices:

http://www.celticpubs.com/celtweb/celticabxl.html
    "Now every day in Celtica, from 1pm until midnight, you can drink at what must be the cheapest prices outside the supermarkets with our fantastic Happy prices on bottled drinks. Pay only €1 for bottles of Maes or Stella Artois, only €2 for bottles of Corona, Bud, Carlsberg, Eristoff Ice or Bacardi Breezer. If you’re in town for the Belgian beers then we have Happy prices on those too, every day from 1pm until midnight, with bottles of Duvel, Westmalle , Chimay Bleu, Leffe or Orval available for only €2."

Frigging cheap as ****. Anywhere in Dublin where Belgium beers aren't too expensive?

Drinking Duvel again right now.

SUCH A GREAT BEER!!!

I was feeling so tired before I touched it (like I was sick, so I felt ****ed.)

After 1 x Chimay, 2 x Duvel I feel extremely awake, happy, creative.

I swear, my body and this beer are made for each other!

Edit: also, I have a great buzz (vision strange, feeling disconnected.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

dublindude wrote:
    Sorry to be ranting on about this beer, but I'm drunk after TWO DUVELS.

This is amazing!!! Normally I can drink for a few hours before getting drunk.

THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF BEERS!!!!!

:D:D:D

Try a few bottles of special brew. 9%. It has a.... unique taste aswell. mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. Anywhere good to buy a crate of 24 in or around Meath or Louth?

Also, apart from reelbeer.ie , what other online stores are there? RB seems to have forgotten we are in a recession and are still very expensive!

mal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ok realbeers for a crate of duvel is €77 including shipping

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/ is £62 which translates at the moment to about €66 - but a large amount of that about £16 is shipping and for that 16 I think you can order 2 crates so you could save money if you do purchase 2 crates of it you could be info for a saving lets see

2 crates on realbeers incl Delivery = €154 or about €3.20 a bottle
    2 cretes on beersofeurope incl Delivery = €116 or about €2.41 a bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Dunnes Stores €2.85 a bottle

Advertisement