Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive - totally under-rated action gem.

Options
  • 23-11-2005 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So, most people haven't even heard of this movie, let alone seen it.

The fact that the box for both the US and European DVD look like they were made for an 80's TV show doesn't help.

It costs 7.99 in Super-Valu, Xtra Vision, and a few other places. Its the kind of movie you look at and go, bah, another b-movie tripe, as if anyone will ever buy that.

What lurks between the cover is an absolute masterpiece. Its humourous, the acting is decent, it has memorable characters on the side of both good and bad, and most of all, some of the most amazing action scenes I have ever seen.

I knew that almost famous star Mark Dacasscos could fight but this one really is up there with the likes of Chan and Jet Li for pure impressive visual flair and ability. Some scenes reminded me greatly of Ong Bak.

Now, this is not a new movie, and I've seen it before, but watching it again a few days ago with a friend really made me see what an under-rated gem this is.

Get it; watch it, and regardless of the simplistic plot of the story, whether or not you like the actors, you will simply love the action sequences.

Possibly the most accomplished low-budget film I've ever seen. I think it's better then anything Jet Li has offered us in Hollywood and on a par with many others including Jackie Chan.

btw - Brittany Murphy is in this, in her not quite totally famous era....

For anybody who doesn't know who Mark Dacascos is, he's a semi famous martial arts actor with a fairly strong cult following. He has been in Brotherhood of the Wolf, Romeo Must Die, Armageddon, Cradle to the Grave, and many more.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0116147/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think I put this in the ultimate Boards list, great show. Mark Dacasscos is simply breathtaking in it. (To this day I still curse the makers of Cradle 2 The crappy Grave for a gross miss-use of him).
    My favourite scenes are
    from when they check into the hotel to the big melee in the garage
    Quality film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, thats my favourite scene also, that garage scene and the scene in the hotel room where about 8 armoured guys with electric batons fight Dacasscos.

I have a few of his films and I think hes criminally underused in ALL of them to be honest! Drive shows he's well capable of making a better film then Jet Li.

Have you seen Crying Freeman Mobile? It's not the same as Drive in the action sense, but it's a great film nonetheless. I also loved Brotherhood of the Wolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, Have Crying Freeman on dvd somewhere, must say I did enjoy it, but again, didn't think it showcased what Dacasscos does best enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mark Dacascos was also in the series The Crow - spin off of the film obviously. It was pretty poor to be honest.

See all his films here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001092/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Excellent movie, check out Dacascos in Only the Strong.

Mark Dacascos was also in the series The Crow - spin off of the film obviously. It was pretty poor to be honest.
    *Shudder* There should be a law against bringing that tripe up :(

Advertisement