Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football back in Dublin

Options
  • 23-11-2005 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Fightin' Irish set for Croker return, says Kelly
    Sean Kelly has revealed that American Football looks set to return to Croke Park within the next three years, bringing top level Gridiron back to Dublin for the first time since 1996.

The game, while not comfirmed and still with some negotiating to go, is expected to be between college side Notre Dame and Navy, one of the biggest out-of-season games on the American Football calendar.

"Notre Dame have an Irish connection and it's a rare, unique occasion and it's a once-off really," he said, suggesting there is no reason for either the IRFU or FAI to feel hard done by.

"It's probable that a game will be played there in the next three years," he continued. "I was over in the US last year and met some officials. I think it would be a good idea to feature Notre Dame as they play under the Fighting Irish banner."

Only 39,000 people turned up to see Notre Dame take on Navy at Croke Park almost 10 years ago, but it would be hoped that almost twice that would attend the game when if and when it happens.

Click here to view the archive »

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

Nice one, love to get to see that. When was the last one played?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

In 1946 a game involving US servicemen on the way home from the Second World war was played in Croke Park. This is believed to be the first time a "foreign" sport was played at the GAA's historic venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I was at that last game.

Was real chuffed that I managed to get touchline seats for it.

Can anyone spot the obvious problem with this?

Fecking fifty odd people, squad, trainers etc standing on the sideline
    hehe
    :)

Advertisement