Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in Your Garden

Options
  • 23-11-2005 5:39pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

the little feckers have my back garden borders dug up all over the camp.
    I've been putting wine bottles down everywhere, but they keep finding places to dig up - I'm ready to kill them.
    Any cheap suggestions on how to keep them out, short of actually killing them of course....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

How about one of the plug in dog barking thingies. Or get some dog poo and put it in the garden(lovely thought I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

small electric fence?
    or get some tiger sh1t from the zoo and spread it liberally around the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've had the same problem. Bottles don't work, lemon peel doesn't work, chilli doesn't work. Only thing that seems to do the trick is putting down stones/cobbles as they don't like the feel of them on their furry arse as they 'do their business'.

Apparently having a dog works wonders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've got three of those battery operated cat-repellers which seem to do the trick but I have to keep moving them around as the cats seem to learn to avoid them. Or else I could buy thirty of them to cover every inch and go deaf if the process.
    Other than that, a hose or supersoaker can be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

I bet the sh*t out of three littel feckers( that used to come in my garden for a few weeks )

They seemed to get the message after a while and havn't been back - although i do think though one may be dead behind the shed,

was quite a large rock the last one i threw. :o

and i you can catch one - swing it by its tail - they dont seem to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Buy some cat NIP and plant it by the front gate. Once the feckers start on the sh*t, their so stoned they can't do a thing. They'll soon want to leave to go home and get some munchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Sleipnir wrote:
    I've got three of those battery operated cat-repellers which seem to do the trick

Do you have a pointer to where I can get these ? We've got a couple of nesting boxes that I want to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

loz wrote:
    I bet the sh*t out of three littel feckers( that used to come in my garden for a few weeks )

They seemed to get the message after a while and havn't been back - although i do think though one may be dead behind the shed,

was quite a large rock the last one i threw. :o

and i you can catch one - swing it by its tail - they dont seem to like it.

i like cats.

in fact, i love cats.

i dont like cruelty against animals.

so, youre banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

As the owner of 8 cats i can tell you that there are only 2 ways to keep cats out.
    1: Cat proof fencing, i use it to keep cats in. Would probably be a pain in the ass and expensive way to keep them out.

2: Get a dog.

I feel your pain, some of the neighbourhood cats have my front garden totally destroyed and the smell is unbelievable at times. I don't let my cats roam so they can't get up anyones nose, it pisses me off that other people let theirs run riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Read this on a gardening site - get some used tea bags, spray on Raljacks (sp?) or Deep Heat - you get the idea - and then bury these about 1" down around the garden. Apparently the don't like the smell of it and clear off. Not sure if this works but worth a try eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Also, similar to what Skye recommends, Tea Tree oil on teabags or straight on ground where they do their business works like magic.
    (If it is the whole garden..you may need a fair bit of tea tree).
    They hate the smell of it, and it is au nauterel so you won't be doing too much harm to the environment/garden/plants etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Arcadian wrote:
    2: Get a dog.

Good suggestion, but not cheap though.. and don't ever get a dog just to get rid of the cats -- pets are for life!

still interested in finding out more about those electronic devices - I want to protect some bird nesting boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Apparently they hate vinegar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I tried the cat spikes on the wall around my house, and after a while they just started to walk on them, I also have the battery sounder thing, got it in B&Q it was 50 euro, I put it in the spot where they do the biz, along with the green crystals from the get off my lawn range this seems to stop them using my roof as a loo, I've tried the cat pepper and found it to be a waste of money, Wahsing the place down with jeayes fluid is also good.

Its an ongoing thing, when we had a dog we had no problems, I also read that peeing in the corners of the garden yourself works, but i have not tried that, but it would be a cheapo option as per the requirements of the OP.

Ohh and I've also hit them with a super soaker loaded with the following options

Water +

Lemon juice
    Jeayes fluid
    Bleach

They hate it and at least run when i'm around, I've never really got them but they seem to get some of it on them ( except once when one had a strip down its back for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

shabbyroad wrote:
    Do you have a pointer to where I can get these ? We've got a couple of nesting boxes that I want to protect.

http://4giftsdirect.com/cart/viewprod/1136.htm

Bear in mind that they have a limited range and field of vision so you may need a couple.
    I have 3 but i have also noticed that they learn how to avoid it so I keep moving them around.
    I also keep the hose handy!

thanks - I'll try it out. I imagine that the area I want to protect is pretty straightforward to cover with a device like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If cats can hear (as i assume they can) high frequencies then you can get a device to make high frequency noises that will drive them nuts.. dogs too though. range should be limited so if you do not have dogs on both sides then it should not cause a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am telling ya, get down to the zoo and ask for a bag of tiger sh1te spread it around and I guarantee you will never see then again.

Advertisement