Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Religous funeral

Options
  • 23-11-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with a non-religous funeral service in Ireland? Is it usual to get a speaker of some sort to replace the role played by a minister?

Are there suitable venues at crematoria or provided by funeral directors without religous overtones (no crosses etc) or would a different venue be needed?

Are the Irish Humanist Association worth contacting with regards to this ? any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I went to a funeral in St. Marks centre on Pearse Street. Big place near the bridge, you cannae miss it.

It was a celebration of this particular lady's life. She was from a musical background so there were lots of different singers singing songs dedicated to her or bands playing, stuff like that. A few people got up and told funny stories, friends from work, etc.

It was a great experience and was one of my earlier experiences with funerals. It was a really cool way to remember someone without being told that they are being judged for their sins! Just a fun way to exchange stories and get together in memory of someone special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

That's the way a funeral should be like. Sounds nice.

I also like the idea used in the film, The Final Cut (Everyone's life is recored,edited into a film and shown at funeral). For people close to me, I'd make something along the lines of Tarnation and show it. Play songs, people talk and tell stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

An old friend and bandmate of my Father's died about a year and a half ago (found dead with syringe in arm :( ). He was cremated and the "service" was held in the crematorium, no religious symbols or anything like that. just friends and family talking bout him and things like that, then near the end about three of his favorite songs were played and it was really nice, not like the christian services where people wont stop talking about death and all that. There was actually a content vibe from everyone, almost as if they enjoyed it (not like, in a haha he's dead way, you know what i mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

Funnerals are one of those events that do kinda of need some sort of direction or it all gets a little ackward.

Got this from the Humanist Association of Ireland (if you have time, their book might give you some ideas?) :

Celebrating Life
    When someone dies those affected by the death will be helped by joining together to share their grief. A funeral ceremony gives them this opportunity. It also provides an occasion to celebrate the life that has ended. And when the person who has died held no religious beliefs, it is important for the ceremony to respect this fact and to reflect his or her views.

More Information
    For more information read our book
    THE HUMANIST PHILOSOPHY - With an Irish Guide to Non-Religious Ceremonies
    Available from Books Upstairs, 36 College Green, Dublin 2.

Advertisement