Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks to 2600

Options
  • 22-11-2005 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

A couple of guys and I got locked into a building the other night because the lock wasn't working from the inside. I'd read an article in a 2600 mag on how to pick a lock, and so after a bit of strafing with a paper clip we got out.
    White hat hacking if ever I heard of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

what sort of lock was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

It was a standard front-door lock, like union.

The flat key has a round head and is about 1.24" of serations to push the pegs down the right amount. I'm gussing around 8 pegs inside from the diamater of the one you can see from the front, but I've never opened one up to know for sure.

I'm guessing this is why mutilever mortice deadlocks were introduced, if it had been a decent lock we would have had to get out a window and try it from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

democrates wrote:
    It was a standard front-door lock, like union.

The flat key has a round head and is about 1.24" of serations to push the pegs down the right amount. I'm gussing around 8 pegs inside from the diamater of the one you can see from the front, but I've never opened one up to know for sure.

I'm guessing this is why mutilever mortice deadlocks were introduced, if it had been a decent lock we would have had to get out a window and try it from the outside.

if you could get out a window why try it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

if you could get out a window why try it at all
    The only accessible window opened to the back of the place and we'd have to scale a wall with that rolly-wire stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I saw a guide to lock picking written by the u.s military on the internet somewhere.
    i read a bit, very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

If you want to see it be done 'hands on' ; there's one or two that bring their pics to the Dublin 2600 meets, I'm sure if you ask them nicely they will let you try your hand at picking a few basic locks to start off with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Whats the interest in GSM cracking at the 2600 meets?
    I was reading this paper earlier in the year: http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/wwwb/cgi-bin/tr-get.cgi/2003/CS/CS-2003-05.ps.gz

Not all details are published, but its enough information for anyone to write some code..its apparently very easy using a PC, i mean to eavesdrop on GSM voice communications.
    The problem is with the protocol.

You'd need atleast 1 guy who knows his stuff about radios.
    i know you know someone, tck :D

There is another paper on Bihams site too, about cracking KASUMI which the A5/3 stream cipher is based on, read here: http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/wwwb/cgi-bin/tr-get.cgi/2005/CS/CS-2005-14.ps.gz

Advertisement