Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I?

Options
  • 22-11-2005 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I've for a long time considered myself athiest but oftentimes I hear of definitions of athiesim that don't really fit with my point of view (agnostic doesnt seem to fit either). So, just out of curiosity rather than any important reason, I'm wondering if anyone knows if theres a definition that fits my religious outlook, which basically is: I do not consider whether or not a god exists important as even if one does I would have no interest in worshiping something which I believe can have no positive impact on my life.

Any ideas, any other "athiests" share this outlook?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

canker wrote:
    I would have no interest in worshiping something which I believe can have no positive impact on my life.

It's an interesting idea but assuming there was a god and you had no interest in worshiping it because of the reason you stated, perhaps you have overlooked the supposed primary benefit of most religions, i.e. an afterlife.

Hence the positve impact only occurs upon death so you're already screwed if you haven't been a good worshiper. But then again doesn't god forgive everything, so what the hell, just go nuts :)

EDIT: Just noticed that my post count is 666 as of this message!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Despatch wrote:
    But then again doesn't god forgive everything, so what the hell, just go nuts :)

EDIT: Just noticed that my post count is 666 as of this message!

Haha, classic.

Maybe spooky too o_O The Devil has his hands in posting on boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Despatch wrote:
    Hence the positve impact only occurs upon death so you're already screwed if you haven't been a good worshiper. But then again doesn't god forgive everything, so what the hell, just go nuts :)
    It depends on the god.

If you ask me though... the best thing about being an atheist is the fact that I'm looking forward to a nice bit of non-existence when I die.

The only true afterlife is through the continued success of your genetic material, and also the spread of any of your memes... and that's more than enough to keep me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

I'd say secularist would be a good definition... You don't assert either ya or na but meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

EmmettInc wrote: »
    I'd say secularist would be a good definition... You don't assert either ya or na but meh!

Disturb the dead would ya?
    4620329916_ZOMBIE_JESUS_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ahh 2006.

They were the best of times and the worstest of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

2005?

I hate resurrections.
    They are known to spoil all the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,159 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You lack a belief in God; you can reasonably and justifiably call yourself an atheist and, if other poeople have a problem with that, I think that's their problem, not yours.

The reason you lack a belief in God, basically, is because the question doesn't interest you (rather than because you are affirmatively convinced that there is no God, or because you consider propositions about God to be incoherent, or because of any other of a host of reasons for which people lack belief in God). But so what? That goes to whether your reasons for not having a belief in God are good enough to appeal to or convince other people, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't believe in God.

Your reasons for not believing in God are good enough for you, therefore you lack any belief in God, therefore you can justifiably call yourself an atheist. At least, that's how I see it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A nine year old thread.

Last activity of OP: 30-01-2006 20:29

Safe to say he's no longer interested.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That's a deist, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Safe to say he's no longer interested.
    Sign of a catholic, I'd have said.

Advertisement