Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle, man

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Thinkin of heading to Newcastle for NYE. Anyone know what's good to do there and where's good to go boozin??
    It's a bit of a random spot to go to, but we're up for a bit of northern craic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bit of advice.... don't wear a jacket or jumper.
    If you're a bloke, only a shirt will suffice.... or a gal... only the smallest piece of clothing.
    They dont feel the cold up there... and you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Pocahontas

yeah we have our minis and stilettos ready. the only word i've heard so far is that the place is full of "scchhhlllaaagsss" (direct quote from an englishman).
    but hey, it'll just be like temple bar on a saturday night!
    hopefully it's not too much of a dive though...maybe they have some fancy clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is this newcastle in the UK we are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

is this newcastle in the UK we are referring to?
    I think Western Australia really would be a bit random, even for New Years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Pocahontas

aye, it's Newcastle-upon-Tyne to give it its full title.
    obviously no one ever goes there, it's not on the "top places to go for 2006" list...but it's nice to go somewhere for a change. NYE is always a major anti-climax.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    I think Western Australia really would be a bit random, even for New Years ;)

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/EI/7/Newcastle.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Jesus Christ, avoid at all costs. And if you HAVE to go there (as in someone is holding your family hostage and forcing you) make sure you avoid the Big Market area. The whole town is filled with pissed-up chavs, squaddies and slags delerious on alco-pops, lager and bad curry. You have been warned.

Pocahontas wrote:
    aye, it's Newcastle-upon-Tyne to give it its full title.
    obviously no one ever goes there, it's not on the "top places to go for 2006" list...but it's nice to go somewhere for a change. NYE is always a major anti-climax.

scroll down to the Places of interest section on the link below, hopefully some of it might be useful
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_upon_Tyne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fr_dickbyrne

Heading to Newcastle myself this weekend. so i can give you reports back on places to go etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

A fantastic spot. Was there last April for a student badminton tournament. Geordies for the most part seemed sound enough, but I suppose it's the same as anywhere, you'll get sound people and you'll get people who'll want to cause trouble, like a young lass called Jenine we met in the chipper who the coppers had only just released "out of nick." They don't like Sunderland people. They do like Kebabs. It's a really nice city too, loads of good architecture, the castle itself that gives the town it's name is pretty impressive. It was freezing when we were there and bear in mind that was in April. Try and take in a match at St James's if you can. Oh they've a great metro system too. Jesmond is a nice area, about 3 stops from the city centre, loads of trendy bars and restaurants reminded me a bit of Ballsbridge in Dublin. The pubs in town are a good laugh too - there's one, I think it's called The Boat, which is on a Boat moored in the Tyne. Buffalo Joes is another bar that's good craic, they've got one of those mechanical bulls in there and all the staff dress as cowgirls.

Here's a photo gallery of our trip to Newcastle:
    http://badminton.csn.ul.ie/gallery/ISBT_Newcastle05?page=1

Oh and Stephen Carr, Millionaire Premiership Footballer, flies with Ryanair, he was on our flight home, the cheapskate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

As a fully paid up member of the Toon army, I've visited the city quite a few times. It true that the bigg Market is a little loud with lots of people drunk, but there's a very large police presence and I've never seen any serious trouble.
    Also, I don't know where they come from but the bouncers are absolutley enornous, so everyone is generally well behaved!!
    I always enjoy myself and my wife really enjoys the shopping.

Advertisement