Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What age did you start this dirty habit?

Options
  • 22-11-2005 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

I started at 12
    I had a massive row with my folks and my mate had cigs

I regret it every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Started at roughly 15 when I first started going to pubs&clubs.
    It'd start with sitting in the pub with some friends scabbing smokes off them, then after a few drinks we'd head to a club and I'd get smokes on the way up to repay them and have a few to smoke while at the club. Then I'd wake up the next morning and think "ah, can't just throw them away" and have them.
    Before I knew it I'd started just buying them on the way to school and knew I was addicted to them.

Do I regret starting?Nah, not really, I've full confidence in myself that I'll be able to give up when I want to, I just don't really want to go without them until I've a gap from college and work(which will be next may) to get off them properly.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was about 15 when I started smoking regularly. At 21, went off them for about 2 years, then started "social smoking" and now I'm on 20 a day again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Started the first day i walked into secondary school , in the bike shed with the older schoolboys that i knew from my estate , while the rest of the first years were afraid to come into the shed . I was with the sixth years smoking , i thought i was "cool" i regret been "cool" ever since.

byte wrote:
    I was about 15 when I started smoking regularly. At 21, went off them for about 2 years, then started "social smoking" and now I'm on 20 a day again! :(

byte , if your going to post yyour have to sign the disclaimer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i was 15, thought i was cool

I am Cool

/me dies off Lung cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I was in sixth class so about 10/11 when i had my first smoke. Started regularly when i was 15(ie every day). I used to regret it but in the last 12 months i've really come to appreciate smoking i figure i'm going to die anyway so i might aswell. I enjoy smoking immensely, i cannot describe how relaxing it is to sit down, make a rollie and a cup of real coffee step outside and watch all my immediate problems be exhaled and taken away by the breeze.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was old enough to know better - 30
    but when you run out of **** and can't get your hands on any in your hour of need (going through a divorce and moving out of the house) then fags were all I could turn to :(

Beruthiel wrote:
    I was old enough to know better - 30
    but when you run out of **** and can't get your hands on any in your hour of need (going through a divorce and moving out of the house) then fags were all I could turn to :(
    I blame the government, if you could buy ***** in a coffeeshop I would never have become a smoker

Well you cant buy "*****" in a coffee shop over here, remember its illegal again I have to mention to read the charter. We cant be talking about illegal substances in here its not what this forum is for. Even for you ruthie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

no worries at all sarge
    I'm going to change the above, you might want to do the same.

btw
    'even for me' doesn't come into it, I ain't the mod here ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million , ah the last part was just me trying to be slighly witty but failing yet again , maybe someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

18 - I should have known better. Then they seemed cheap then. Only smoked on weekends. When I got to college it turned into a full time habit. Again, I should have known better.

I enjoy smoking but it really costs me a lot. That bugs me more than the lung cancer thing tbh. Modern science might find a cure for cancer, but it won't help me pay the bills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Started at 15... didn't realize I was addicted to them until the foul moods kicked in in their absence... ciggies made the bad feelings go away... and here we are 10 years later, still smoking.
    Everyone was like "Oh quit now before you get too hopelessly addicted to them...", but I think it was too late at that stage... I knew I was hooked.

Advertisement