Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Latin and Irish Translations

• 21-11-2005 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey,

Haven't brushed up on my oul Irish in a long time.

Looking for the following phrase to be translated (its short and sweet):

'Live Forever'

Also, if you could translate it to Latin that would be great too!

Cheers,
    Vgar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Perhaps you should try the Irish language forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Sorry, had a look at that forum and it doesn't see, to be too popular. Thought I'd get a quicker response in this forum (plus I'm looking for the Latin translation too - tried it online but got three different versions).

Would have moved to other forum but I need it kind of quick as I'm looking to have the translation printed onto a dog tag I'm buying online as an xmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

well live in irish is 'mair' and forever is 'choiche'-the 'i' has a fada. now i havent a clue if dats actually how its said but dats wat dey are separately. hope it helps!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

in latin its "vivo eternus"

Excellent - thanks a million folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 el lupo

I'd say you should use "go deo" or "go siorai" (fada on the i) for "forever", as in:

mair do deo/ go siorai

Sounds more natural :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Nightwish wrote:
    in latin its "vivo eternus"

aeternus - eternal or everlasting

(in) aeternum - for ever

how about 'vivo in aeternum', or just 'vivo aeternum' - [to] live forever.

I could be totally wrong, I have very little knowledge of latin, but it seems to me that aeternum is more appropriate here than aeternus is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

fada over a letter is alt gr + a, e, i, o or u
    á é í ó ú
    for those who didnt know how to do it on this thread :)

Malafus wrote:
    I have very little knowledge of latin
    shows i have even littler

Cheers, think I will go with the Latin version (sounds better lol).

Just while I'm here, I did have another one in mind (not sure which one to use)

Any chance you would know what the following is in Latin?

Live Fast
    Die Never

Sorry, just I'm getting different variations around the web and not sure which is the correct one.

If not I'll just go with the original - Live Forever

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    shows i have even littler

Very subtle difference between "eternal" and "forever" anyway, if, indeed, one exists at all.

But the difference between:
    'vivo aeternus' - [to] live eternal(ly)
    and
    'vivo aeternum' - [to] live forever

is striking. The former, to me, sounds like "immortality" (I realise that to live forever implies that as well, but it doesn't feel as explicitly stated.)

Perhaps someone well versed in Latin will settle this...

nothing needs to be settled. You're right I'm wrong

Malafus wrote:
    Very subtle difference between "eternal" and "forever" anyway, if, indeed, one exists at all.

But the difference between:
    'vivo aeternus' - [to] live eternal(ly)
    and
    'vivo aeternum' - [to] live forever

is striking. The former, to me, sounds like "immortality" (I realise that to live forever implies that as well, but it doesn't feel as explicitly stated.)

Perhaps someone well versed in Latin will settle this...

Should the 'a' at the start of 'aeternus' and 'aeternum' be kept or is it dropped as someone else used above?

vgar wrote:
    Should the 'a' at the start of 'aeternus' and 'aeternum' be kept or is it dropped as someone else used above?

It should really be the little 'ae' symbol. Æ

æternum. If you don't want the hassle, 'ae' will do fine.

Edit:
    For your other request, as far as I can tell, the most appropriate words here are:
    Live - vivo (again)
    Fast - praecipitis (best translation: hasty, dangerously)
    Die - mori, -mortuus(participle)
    Never - Nunquam (a straight translation of 'never')

So "Vivo praecipitis, Nunquamortuus" could be what you are looking for (Live fast/dangerously, never die)

The problem here is that I don't know if Latin allows for such a word as "Nunquamortuus". You might have better luck on the *languages* forum regarding this.

*Oops, typo.

Cheers for the help everyone

EDIT:

Just read your edited post there now Malafus. That's great - thanks a million for doing that for me. Will hopefully work something out with it now! You're a life saver!!! - Vivo praecipitis, Nunquamortuus :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Languages. Do not post here just to reach a broader audience please.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The Irish word 'mair' means exist, and isn't generally used to describe life in the context of the phrase 'live forever'. There is always going to be an idiomatic phrase for phrases like these and the best I can do is the imperitive form of 'live' which is 'bí beo'. Then add forever to get 'bí beo go deo' which sounds a bit gay, so try 'bí beo i dtólamh' which I think sounds a bit cooler.

As for 'live fast, die never', the comma is necessary to make the sentence complete (otherwise, the sentence reads incoherently and nonsensically).

The best Irish I can work out for it is 'bí beo go gasta, faigh bás choiche' (there is no fada on the 'i'). Otherwise you can use 'bí beo go gasta, bí síoraí', which translates directly as 'live fast, be perennial/eternal/everlasting' which is fairly close contextually to what you're looking for.

Hope that was helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Nah, mair could be used tbh imo.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

simu wrote:
    Nah, mair could be used tbh imo.
    I was going to let that go, but I can't. What are you talking about, do you think I just made it up that mair isn't suitable? I mean, it's so ridiculous to just say something like that for what; to make me look like a fool.

grmph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

There's nothing wrong with mair go deo, it sounds ok to me tbh (although there are "tidier" sayings). If people can say "go maire tú céad" why not forever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Malafus wrote:
    It should really be the little 'ae' symbol. Æ

æternum. If you don't want the hassle, 'ae' will do fine.

Only if you're using medieval orthography. If you're using classical Latin the normal ae is the correct version.

As for the translation - people are giving the latin for "I live forever" - but I assume you want the imperative - which would be vive. Also, aeternum isn't really the word a classical author would use. There are plenty of possibilities, however, that are good classical latin:

vive in perpetuum
    vive perpetuus/a (depending on whether it's addressed to a guy or girl)
    vive semper
    I also quite like "esto semper," but I'm not really sure how good a translation that is.

live fast die young:
    praeceps vive numquam morere

I think this is more striking than using a participle, as Malafus suggested.

Finally, as for the difference between vivo aeternus and vivo aeternum - this use of the accusative of time of an adjective is unusual - vivo aeternus is the better latin.

But tbh, you can't improve on Horace: "non omnis moriar," I shall not wholly die...

Wow, that brilliant. Thanks a million for that. Wish I knew as much Latin as you guys. Everything sounds so profound when spoken in Latin! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

ha. that's what my teacher used to say. he used to give us all these ways of insulting people and say "well you can get away with it, because everything sounds so grand and fancy in latin!"

Advertisement