Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone even listen to the radio anymore?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 3:27pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Does anyone even listen to the radio anymore?
    With the popularity and ease of the mp3 these days I didnt think anyone listens to the radio anymore. I hear it the odd time if Im in someones car or maybe passing a shop but even then most people i know have an mp3 player hooked up or are playing CD's. I cant even remeber the last time I actually switched on the radio myself.

So do you listen to the radio?

Do you listen to the Radio anymore? 61 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 61 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

No but I will be when Phantom FM comes back on air but for the moment there is absolulty no good music stations out there for anyone eho has nayway unothodox music tastes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye, the only time I ever did switch the radio on was for Phantom FM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

My stereo has lain dormant from their famous "last braodcast" which I recored in case they never came back. WIll have to dust it off soon i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Every day in the car, going to and comming from work, like a lot of people tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Listen to some talk radio in the evening when i get home from work, but i have a low tolerance when music is being played... a few crappy songs in a row and its off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I remember posting a similar thread a few months back.
    I dont listen to commercial radio for music anymore... got my mp3 player for all my music needs.
    I only listen to radio for BBC5 live (news/sports) or Newstalk 106.
    Probably best you specify this in the poll...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yup, I am a big fan of radio.
    I bought a zen creative because it had radio access, I also picked my mobile based on the fact that it too had radio access.
    I love the radio, I listen to it on the way too and from work, and can often be found with my earphones in, listening to a bit o banter during the working day.
    I actually prefer radio to television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't listen to music radio have'nt done since Donal Dineen was shoved aside (interweb for that sort of thing these days). But I listen to hours of talk radio RTE radio 1 and BBC 5 + cricket on BBC 4 long wave.

Mike.

whiskeyman wrote:
    Probably best you specify this in the poll...
    Well you either listen to the radio or you dont.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Well you either listen to the radio or you dont.....
    True, but I've stopped listening to the radio for music since MP3 players came in... but I still listen to the radio just for talk radio (news & sport).

In my old thread, this was the sentiment of most of the posters... as nearly all were fed up with the commercial crap with repetitive playlists.

You'll find a smaller percentage of people have stopped listening to the radio altogether, but many are jumping ship on commercial music stations.

• Advertisement

Yeh but its still listening to the radio,
    Whether you listen to it for the music or not does not take away from the fact that you listen to radio, which is what my poll asks,if you want your own poll then by all means go ahead but thats not the question im asking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It would be mainly talk radio I would listen to. news and information and the like. I have very little time for "more **** pop songs in one hour than any other radio station" format. The problem with it is that a) most of what is played is crap and b) most of the time your not in to mood to listen to whatever type of music they are playing at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Used to listen to the radio all day everyday. Getting out of the habit now. Fraid it was boring old RTE radio 1. Morning Ireland followed by Marian Finucane then through the day - Just on in the office in the background. Then one day :mad: a voice came on :confused: and I thought what is this juvenile rant. So my radio listening days are over. They are BT (Before Tubridy) when I used to listen to the radio all the time, and ST (since Tubridy - who is the greatest switch off on the radio ever.

There should be a whole thread devoted to things about Tubridy which annoy people. He is the worst thing to have happened to Radio 1 and has driven away listeners in droves. My question is just what does he have on the RTE head of Radio, it must be something big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

I love radio. Like most posters here, though, I also go for the talk variety. Radio 1, Gerry Ryan and sometimes Dave Fanning on 2FM, practically anything on Newstalk (slight aversion to Orla Barry, mind), almost anything on Radio 5 and a lot of the documentary type stuff on Radio 4. If I am interested in music it will be 6Music on the BBC, BBC radio 2 or specific shows such as Alison Curtis / Jenny Houston / Cormac Battle. If I am in the car I will go for TodayFM as a rule; if I am at home I go for satellite radio.

Where you claim that MP3 players narrow the reach of radio, for me it has broadened it. For me I use Replay Radio centre to download podcasts and record streaming radio which I then download to listen to during the week. For example, mot of my BBC listening is now done downloaded / recorded from the web and I have discovered US shows which I otherwie would not even know existed.

I do see your point, thoug - and I am hoping that music listeners on MP3 players tune out of commercial radio as it has now evolved, leaving a gap for quality radio in its wake.

For me Radio is far better than TV, and I am the sort who looks forward to DAB, satellite radio in cars, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I listen to the radio in my car, in work and tune in most nights at home. I listen to Vincent Browne as often as I can. It would be the one radio programme I would try to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I listen to Radio Kerry whenever I'm online. The Kerry brogue reminds me of summers spent in Ireland as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I'll be getting an mp3 player shortly I'd say and the reason I'll buy a Creative and not an Ipod is because of the radio feature. Can't be that hard for Apple to include an FM tuner. I like to have the choice to turn on the radio to hear the news or sport if i'm travelling.
    Like most other posters here I hate daytime pop music radio, but would listen to Newstalk and Dave Fanning and other decent late night music shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I listen to Tubridy and Pat Kenny when I am on the bus through my mobile, but also BBC Radio 4 Podcasts that I download onto it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

westtip wrote:
    Used to listen to the radio all day everyday. Getting out of the habit now. Fraid it was boring old RTE radio 1. Morning Ireland followed by Marian Finucane then through the day - Just on in the office in the background. Then one day :mad: a voice came on :confused: and I thought what is this juvenile rant. So my radio listening days are over. They are BT (Before Tubridy) when I used to listen to the radio all the time, and ST (since Tubridy - who is the greatest switch off on the radio ever.

There should be a whole thread devoted to things about Tubridy which annoy people. He is the worst thing to have happened to Radio 1 and has driven away listeners in droves. My question is just what does he have on the RTE head of Radio, it must be something big.

your radio dial is stuck on radio 1 then

There are other stations when Ryan Tubridy is on you know, and you're obviously in the minority of people who don't like him so get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I LOVE Newstalk and listen to it for large portions of the day, every day. The podcasts help if I've missed some of the best features too. Off the Ball is brilliant from 7-10 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Poll is a bit limited Garth. You should have differentiated between music radio (as it competes with mp3s etc) and talk radio.

I don't listen to commercial radio stations much anymore as there full of x-factor, girlie music & teeny-bopper crap. Sometimes I catch a bit of Hip-Hop on 2FM & Spin but thats very rare I listen to em.

However I do listen to Newstalk and to the Mystery Train with John Kelly on RTÉ 1. He takes you through all different flavours of music and how they've influenced different genres etc. Brilliant show you should give it a listen it on Mon - Thurs 8.30 - 10pm. http://www.rte.ie/radio/mysterytrain/

My only problem is I'm sometimes putting the kid to bed when its on so I miss it. I emailed the show asking them to make it available as a podcast but no joy. I was told I could listen to on the web, not very helpfull. Think I'll have to make my own podcasts when I get my net set-up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

radioman wrote:
    your radio dial is stuck on radio 1 then

There are other stations when Ryan Tubridy is on you know, and you're obviously in the minority of people who don't like him so get over it

actually no I listen to the Beeb stations on line, Lyric, now as I have switched off from R1 in the mornings because of Tubridy, for sport Today FM on saturday - so there you go you have my listening habits, they may not be yours, but so be it. Re Tubridy, as yet I haven't found a single person who used to listen to Finucane on the Radio who prefers Tubridy - quite the opposite. I may be in the minority not liking Tubridy, it is rather reassuring not to be with the masses, and I take your comment as a thankful complement. Because he is populist in his broadcsting style it doesn't mean to say he is the right choice for the current slot, being populist and appealing to the lowest common denominator isn't a reason to listen to him. RTE have gone for a populist tabloid style of broadcasting in a slot in which the listenership quite simply didn't want it. Tubridy, is up against Gerry Ryan and Ray D'Arcy - its all the same banal chitter chatter text radio. My question to RTE would be why try and go for the same broadcasting style as other channels at the same time - they are cannabalising from their own Gerry Ryan - although TBH, Ryan does a better job (in my opinion) in this slot in the morning, and there are probably R1 listeners switching to Ryan to get away from Tubridy. Tubridy just whitters on like a juvenile who feels they have to give an opinion on everything when it is not needed. He constantly reminds us of his name - The tubridy show this Tubridy that, he is tubridy etc etc, as if he has an insecurity complex. We know his name why does he constantly have to repeat it? Believe me I have tried to listen to Tubridy, but it just doesn't work, he seems a most pleasant young man, but I find him an annoying prat when it comes to broadcasting, I just wish he wasn't on the radio slot I used to enjoy most. RTE radio are you reading this??:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I prefer Tubridy to Maid Marriane. She really started to annoy me with her handy wringing, touchy-feely wimmins issues stuff. Tubridy ain't perfect but he's a media brat and so I'm I (though less so these days) so I pick up on the humourous asides. Less Sinatra would'nt go amiss though.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've always like radio as a medium. I used to love BBC 1fm when I lived in the north.

I listen to the Ray Darcy show on Today FM, if I have mornings off. If I'm working late, I'll listen to Jenny Houston or Donal Dineen.

Similar to other posters, I cant wait for Phantom FM to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I actually prefer radio to television. I don't much go for talk radio and with the sole exception of Today FM, can't stand much of the music radio in this country.

In the car I mostly listen to Lyric FM and Classic FM when I can get it. Online, I'll listen to quite a few of the French stations. I have radio coming in through Chorus but am mildy disappointed with their offer (NTL is much better in this respect).

Ryan Tubridy annoys me, but I have to say Marian Finucane's morning show never appealed to me much either. By comparison, Ray Darcy is a hell of a lot better.

The point is, if you're at home and broadband enabled, you have a truly staggering choice of radio stations available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

The only time i ever listen to radio is at night listening to the repeats of NewsTalk 106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I would spend most of the day listening to the radio.

Morning Ireland,
    D'arcy,
    RTE 1 o'clock news,
    Rattlebag,
    5-7 live,
    either Tom Dunne or John Kelly,

will all be on for at least some time during the day. But, if at all possible, I do not miss Donal Dineen. What he does is just my cup of tea. Simply brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I very rarely listen to the radio, but when i do it's today Fm coz they seem to be the only ones that ever seem to bother playing Irish artists. The rest just dish out the usual sh1te from the british or american charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The only station I listen to is Virgin Radio (mostly on the internet; or in the car when reception is good; it's on 1215 MW). I find it is the last of the stations that play good rock music (particualry classic rock, like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dire Straits, Hendrix, Led Zepplin, etc.) Shame though it plays very little metal.

I used to listen to Dad Rock on Today FM untill the bastards canceled it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i was actually about to post a thread about this. my point was that i love(d) newstalk (particularly moncrieff... whome i semi-regularly texted for a while) but have stopped listening completely now because of podcasts. i've only just caught onto them, and i can't stop. the ones i'm subscribed to are regular enough that they can replace radio altogether.

at the moment i've been sifting through the lazlow show (www.lazlow.com - he's the guy on GTA radio) archives. i've wanted to do that for a while but was limited without broadband...

but no matter what goes on the radio, it'll never replace the openline back in the day :'(

Advertisement