Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translations of foreign-language books

Options
  • 21-11-2005 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

I'm studying French and German and have to read a lot of french and german literature for my course. My problem is, that I have a lot of difficulty reading books in another language as I have to translate everything first which is EXTREMELY time-consuming. I want to read the english translations of the books first so that I actually understand what is going on, and then translate the main words I don't know from the text. Unfortunately if I do this without reading the translation first, I haven't a clue what is going on!

Basically, I was wondering if anyone here would know where I could get free (I'm completely broke!) online translations of french and german literature.

My course books for French are:

Huis Clos: Jean Paul-Sartre (already have a translation of this one)
    English title: No Exit

En Attendant Godot: Samuel Beckett (ditto)
    English title: Waiting For Godot

Chien de Printemps: Patrick Modiano

La Place: Annie Ernaux

My course books for German are:

Draussen vor der Tür: Wolfgang Borchert (can't find ANYTHING on this, help!)
    English title: The Man Outside

Der Vorleser: Bernhard Schlink (managed to get the first 3 chapters in english)
    English title: The Reader

Der Besuch der alten Dame: Dürrenmatt
    English title: The Visit

Unvollendete Geschichte: Volker Braun

Geld oder Leben: Birgit Vanderbeke

Any links for translations/notes on French and German literature, and especially for those titles would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Try the shop Modern Languages on Westland Row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Those French books shouldn't be all that hard to read (don't know about the German ones) and tbh you should have stuck to English literature if you find it hard reading in French and German.

I doubt you can get free translations for those books as they're all pretty recent but your college library might have the English versions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

They do, thanks. Only thing is, I'm not allowed remove them from the library!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Can you not photocopy them in the library?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I'd say any public library would have Waiting for Godot - it's quite short though, so photocopying it might be a better option

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I started reading The Grapes of Wrath in french, before ditching it after the first page in favour of waiting for a year before getting hold of an English copy. Unless you are reading something incredibly factual - such as a maths book - you are better off reading in the original language ... as that is the vechicle for the authors message. Translations never get exactly the same vibe across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, Beckett actually did his own translations so it's a bit of a special case. Doesn't mean there mightn't be subtle differences between the English and French versions, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You're really better off reading them in the language they were written in. There are subtlties that you'll miss in a translation... It's hard (try Old and Middle English) but it's more genuine - your own perspective is important.

Advertisement