Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop built-in microphones + Skype

Options
  • 20-11-2005 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Does anyone here use Skype/SkypeOut with a laptop built-in microphone? I've just done the Skype audio check (echo123) and was appalled with the result - and that's after chatting to someone by SkypeOut ("what, I can hardly hear you, say that again?") and Skype laptop to laptop (which sounds great except I can hear the other guys laptop fan cutting in and out).

Can anyone recommend a good USB microphone for a lappy? Maybe a clip-on one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

just use the mic in on the laptop and use a headphone/earphone. alternatively, there might be a chance of using a bluetooth headset (That u use with bluetooth mobiles) and ur bluetooth pc (if u add a dongle).

the earphones will cancel out the doubling. i know, i use it every week to talk to my family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Don't bother with the bluetooth headset option, believe me I've tried. Just pick up a cheap headset with a headphone and microphone jack in PC World or Dixons or the like and that will increase the quality of the calls 10 times over. I use skype practically every day with a headset and I have no complaints.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

You should at least use normal headphones to stop feedback from speakers to mic. I use my in built-in mic and its fine. Do you have the level turned up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

I do use headphones, it's just that the built-in is not the best quality. The cheap microphones you can buy in the shops (and the built in one I'm guessing) aren't powered and must rank poorly compared to powered (USB) ones. Plus the built-in picks up all the typing and fan noises of the lappy.

(PS the new beta Skype has webcam support :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The USB mic's aren't great quality tbh; and if it's to be clipped on there's positioning to worry about. Save hassle and get a headset which is much more comfortable and practical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement