Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies I remember when I was Kid - Anyone know these?

Options
  • 19-11-2005 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Here are a few movies I watched when I was young but didn't understand what was going on at time (these are all late 70's or early 80's movies). Just wonder if anyone would recognise these?

1)
    Actually... you know actor Brian Dennehy? Well, in 1980's or late 70's he starred in a movie where I *think* he was a cop and other piece of information I remember was near the start of the movie - A childminder is in the house downstairs. It's late at night. The kids are in bed. And she gets these phone calls. He threatens her and the kids I think. She calls the cops and the cops soon enough tell the calls are coming from WITHIN the house (the kids are found dead and he escaped I think). Do you know what the movie was called? I can't match it in the list of movies he starred in (imdb).

2)
    I tracked down a stupid movie called Venom what was in my Dad's old library (starring a schoolboy's black Mamba who poisoned kidnappers and a nanny). Crap movie but I remember we had it around 1984-86. Released in 1982. Not a question but tracked it now. One to forget again!

3)
    This was based on Escape from Atlantis or something. Victorian sea crew on a woden clipper ship with a metal diving bell are lower into the sea. They get sucked through a water whirlpool and end up on a beach under an air cave and they find a new world populated by an Atlantis race. They escape and oh yeah there is a Optopus who wields a big oblesik thingie and smashes the ship in the end. They escape the ship by a small rowboat. I bet you remember this - but oh what's the name? I can't even name an actor!

4) Another one is much more vague -> This one is based on Arabian Nights style - May it was! What I remember is a kid and a girl on magic carpet (wasn't a cartoon) going through streets at roof level been chased by similar baddie loaded carpets. Hmm... what's the title? (incidently we had the Red Death starring Price on the 2nd half of tape).

5) A Friday 13th Slasher clone:- Some summer kids torch a carekeeper's small lodge / house and the guy suffer horrific burns and survives to reap revenge on the kids - Any guesses? Scenes I remember are the burning of lodge at the start - the guy in the hospital covered in an oxygen tent - The guy wondering about the woods with that eerie music.

6) A horror movie where a ghost lives in a mirror - even more vague I know. The ghost even haunted pieces of the mirror - A piece was lodged on the end of sneaker. The mirror cause uses telekinesis to move knives and generally did bad things. Any guesses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

#3 sounds familiar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

5) sounds like "The Burning"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

5) sounds like "The Burning"...

Yes! You got it!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082118/#comment

And yes the title rings a bell... it's been 20 years since I saw last. I had clean forgotten about for years until I began to remember the scenes described above. Kudos! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hamster wrote:
    6) A horror movie where a ghost lives in a mirror - even more vague I know. The ghost even haunted pieces of the mirror - A piece was lodged on the end of sneaker. The mirror cause uses telekinesis to move knives and generally did bad things. Any guesses?

That one would be Amityville: A New Generation, one of the many, many naff sequels to The Amityville Horror.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

1) sounds like "When a Stranger Calls" (don't think Brian Dennehy was in that though?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

#3 could be "Warlords of Atlantis" starring Doug McClure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ObeyGiant wrote:
    #3 could be "Warlords of Atlantis" starring Doug McClure.

Carol and ObeyGiant - you are both right! Thank you! :)

Karl Hungus - Sorry no, this was a early 80's or late 70's cheap horror. The only clue is that I remember a mirror was involved (I think there was a murder at the start by the mirror - dodgy story eh?). Another glimpse of memory is a bit where a kid wearing sneakers had a bit of a mirror fragment lodged on the foot. Who ever looked at mirror or indirectly were influenced. Finally I think near the end there was a poorly done sequence where loads of knives rise of a kitchen drawer (influence by a mirror or other) and slowly move across the room and kill/maim someone? I guess that all I remember. Remember so little on this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

6) Could you be talking bout The Boogeyman?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080464/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hamster wrote:
    Karl Hungus - Sorry no, this was a early 80's or late 70's cheap horror.

Well, what you've descibed is a dead ringer for that particular Amityville Sequel:
    Plot Outline: An old mirror from the haunted Long Island house finds its way into a photographer's family where the evil soon manifests itself to cause more terror and mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Number 4 something to do with a magic rose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dennehy as a cop... Brian Dennehy as a cop... it rings some sort of bell...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement