Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fun is a dirty word

Options
  • 18-11-2005 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

what happened to having fun in a band. these days everyone wants to be in a specific band with exact influences and specially coloured guitars and other useless things. NO. do you think the beatles were that anal or zeppelin or the smiths NO. im going to start a new band to play any kind of music, develop as a group so if your into rock n roll from elvis to the velvet underground to radiohead and whatever was in between give me a shout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭psharkey

Hey there MacFlash,

I'm a 28yr old singer/songwriter from Donegal currently living in Dublin (out near Saggart). I've opened recently for the likes of Damien Dempsey and beleive it or not "The Drifters", you know the old black soul lads from the 50's 60's? That was great crack altogether! Not sayin' old Damo wasn't a bit of crack either like, he was down to earth and dead on.

Anyway I've a load of songs and ideas and stuff and am writing more all the time. So, I don't know what you play or anything, but maybe we could work together.

I'm at work so I gotta go right now but you can contact me on;

086 066 0919

pjsharkey23@hotmail.com

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paddy Sharkey.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

yeah i do think the smiths were that anal,as you put it.Morrissey knew exactly wat he wanted 2 do with de Smiths.But u do hav a point,it should be fun.But wats de point in people gettin involved in music dey hav no interest in?It then stops being fun.People enjoy playin the music dey want 2,so its fun.
    so i guess deres 2 ways of lookin at it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jumpin_macflash

the smiths werent anal they were great and the point im making is everyone comes with so much baggage when they want to join a band, everything has to be like this or this and ill only play with you if your into this type of music. i dont care if you dont like the smiths i dont want to sound like them i just like them i like the beatles i like the stones the pixies lots of stuff and you dont thats cool but it doesnt mean we cant play music together and have a laugh with and see where it takes us. so if you like beethoven bowling shoes flannel jackets and purple guitars and only if you like that stuff this is the band for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Helper_Monkey

I whole heartily agree! All you have to do is look to the amazing music scene in Belfast. Its totally unpretencious and there's a group of guys and girls the size of a crowd of gawking american tourists around the book of kells, who are all just making music for the absolute love of it and having a damn great time.
    If you're ever in belfast, you can see local live music any night of the week and its cheep and usually of a very high standard.
    We arent all gonna be rock stars so lets at least have some fun while our dreams are shattered, for the love of yer ma!

[however, If you cant make across the border, helper monkey are the band to look out for for some unpretencious, un-uniformed, post grunge, folk tinged down-right dirty alternative rock and roll.]:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

i hear where you're comin from man and do actually like the stuff you mentioned. i'm playin guitar about 3 years and am learnin sax. if you want to jam PM me and we'll hook somethin up.
    Sound
    -Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jumpin_macflash

something goes bump in the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 formanewband

Hey Jumpin Macflash....

We are on similar wavelengths and it is causing interference in my brain!!!

E-mail me at formanewband@hotmail.com ASAP and we might be able to sort something out. Or PM me on this boards site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alittleboylost

rock n roll is dead im going off to listen to chuck berry

Advertisement