Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crap quality

Options
  • 18-11-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

been ringing the gf's gaf with skype, quality's always been a bit crap.

she got the broadband in, so had our first skype to skype call last night.

at the start the sound qualitly was a bit better, was like talking through a big tube.

it then got pretty bad with gaps and distortion.

why is this? i've a 1mb line from ntl, is this why?

is there any way to improve the quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

Get blueface instead:v:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paperclip wrote:
    why is this? i've a 1mb line from ntl, is this why?

is there any way to improve the quality?

Nah its not going to be down to NTL 1MB I'd say, after all people have got skype working on 56k connection.

Are you downloading anything while trying to make the call, is your gf using a shared connection with anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

are you both using softphones ? I noticed a huge difference in quality when I went from using a softphone to having a proper ATA and a standard analogue phone. Plus I'm using a VOIP provider and not eBay/Skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

The problem with most ADSL connections is the uplink speed. If you're using a router or a modem that allows you to configure QoS (Quality of Sevice), then you should try setting the VoIP audio ports you're using to at least 8Kb/s. As a previous post indicates, a hardware solution is a lot better than a softphone because it's not competing with your desktop OS to draw your windows (etc). Of course, if you're running a real desktop OS you could also control this (did I say Linux ;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Try the Google Voice instead, I find the quality better than skype

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The problem with most ADSL connections is the uplink speed. If you're using a router or a modem that allows you to configure QoS (Quality of Sevice), then you should try setting the VoIP audio ports you're using to at least 8Kb/s. As a previous post indicates, a hardware solution is a lot better than a softphone because it's not competing with your desktop OS to draw your windows (etc). Of course, if you're running a real desktop OS you could also control this (did I say Linux ;-) )

Or you can just bring up the task manager and change the priority of the process. Amazing the kind of stuff Windows is capable of...

There's nothing inherently wrong with ADSL. I've talked to people on ADSL many a time with excellent results with Skype.

Advertisement