Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have to pay tax/duty if buying a region 1 dvd?

Options
  • 17-11-2005 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm looking to buy a region 1 dvd from amazon.co.uk (only place I can find the DVD I want) but it says I might have to pay excise tax because I'm importing the DVD.

Has anyone come across this and how much did they have to pay?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any electronic good bought in the UK is liable for tax. Amazon will always enforce it at your country's VAT rate - in Ireland that's 21% for electronic goods IIRC. That's why I buy off of play.com where the price you see is the one you'll actually end up paying...

Other sites, such as www.dvdsoon.com, leave it to your local customs office to enforce the charges as, being outside the EU, they don't give a rat's ass if it gets paid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

try play.com , free shipping might save u some money , or playusa.com for region 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MrsMac

Amazon is the only place that has the DVD I want (the disney 1967 version of the Jungle Book). I've search all the websites you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

magick wrote:
    try play.com , free shipping might save u some money , or playusa.com for region 1

I've just noticed this thread and i have recently ordered a region 1 dvd from play.com and it was made clear that as the dvd was coming from the US there would be customs charges payable on reciept so buyer beware!!:(

Advertisement