Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our New City Christmas Lights

Options
  • 17-11-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Well guys what do you think of the auld lights down o'connell street. personally i think they could have down with a bit more colour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Haven't seen them lit up yet, but I was impressed with the garlands and things during the day. Pictures, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

isnt there supposed to be like a million lights there or am i way of
    im sure i heard that figure somewere but the more i think of it, it seems impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

They spent a million euro on the lights maybe thats what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

I have to agree that more colour but they are a million times better than last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

IrishMike wrote:
    They spent a million euro on the lights maybe thats what you mean
    No, they spent something like €200,000 on them, they are a million christmas lights in the city

• Advertisement

I think they look great anyway ... the old ones look so tacky during the day, these ones look good all the time!
    I've always felt that the way the city lights up for christmas has always been pretty ugly, in dublin the lighting is along the trees, it looks alot classier, but at least these look much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 snackatack

the style are ok, but come on, we need more colour on them at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

18-11-05_2038.jpg

O'Connell Street

No, they spent something like €200,000 on them, they are a million christmas lights in the city
    aha i was right
    woah a million lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think they're great, no pleasing some people, if they were all colour there'd be folk going on about how white lights are classier etc.

• Advertisement

I think they're great, no pleasing some people, if they were all colour there'd be folk going on about how white lights are classier etc.
    Yep, These look so great, i hope they will eventually get them on all main streets

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think they look great anyway ... the old ones look so tacky during the day, these ones look good all the time!
    I've always felt that the way the city lights up for christmas has always been pretty ugly,

The old lights were first introduced in 1997 and they looked pretty great then. A vast improvement on 1996 when the lights were plain strings of white lights which the Post had a bit of a hate campaign for. Due to how unpopular they were the city made a huge investment on the lights in '97. And they were pretty great and really popular.

Unfortunately that Christmas eve saw the country hit by hurricane force storms, which blew two holes in the roof of the Parkway, shattered the windows of Benetton and Roches and knocked down Penney's clock amoung other things. They also destroyed 2/3's of the city's shiny, new lights. And as there was no budget to replace them the lights were spread thinly through the main streets for the last 7 years. Amoung the destroyed was the big centre-piece light formation that spanned the O'Connell St/William St junction, so the one from Bedford Row/Thomas St/O'Connell St was moved there instead. Leaving the whole place looking a bit half-hearted.

Still though I generally prefer the lights in Limerick to Dublin as they have a unified theme. In Dublin each area is decorated differently, to the point where all of Henry St is all star lights, all Mary St is all tree shaped lights, O'Connel St has no lights spanning the street, Grafton St is all white lights and the best area is around George's St as there is some variety and colour. (A bit like the lights in Limerick).

well theres a bit of history for ya

Yeah, LOL... i never knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DO they still have the reindeer with the wonky leg?

I think he is on the junction of Thomas Street and O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Have to say the Christmas tree they put up on O'Connell Street looks really nice. Can't help but wonder if/when knackers will start stealing its balls though. Some of 'em are pretty low down...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I went into to town last week and I was pleasantly surprised with the new lights, so I have to say I do like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I think O'Connell Street looks really well this year. I like the white lights - well done to the relevant people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was down in Limerick the other day and was impressed by the new lights.
    Big improvement on the old broken ones which really made the place look shabby.
    The new ones are pretty classy, not too gaudy and they should age well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 hugh_jass_ie

fair play to the lads in wks for doin a great job puttin them up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Yeah remember living in patrick street and heard a noise out in my balcony it was the corpo lads putting up the lights on a cold wet Sunday morning so definately thumbs up to them

Anyone got a clue as to when they plan on taking them down. Its now the 10/11th of January and they are still up, and still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Anyone got a clue as to when they plan on taking them down. Its now the 10/11th of January and they are still up, and still on.

Ha..was thinking the exact same thing last night.:D

Well the rink closed on the 10th so i guess anytime now, probably Sunday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was the rink any good?

yeah it was great, i went three times, i most say the last was the worst... the tent started leaking everywhere... and thhe ice didnt feel as good, but it was still great fun, i'd recommend going before christmas next year if you want to try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

I have noticed today that they have remeved the christmas lights. Instead of the lights they have flags of Munster Rugby (?) all over O'Connel Street.

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Instead of the lights they have flags of Munster Rugby (?) all over O'Connel Street.

where's the photo? :confused: .....

I'll go and have a look Tuesday :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement