Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6800GT performence problems

Options
  • 15-11-2005 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

i got a point of view 6800GT few weeks ago, i have played many games like doom 3, quake 4, fear etc, but most of the games dosent feel like they are being played in full speed of the card to me :confused: doom 3: i ran a demo of it under recommanded settings got a 28 FPS, Fear runs great, Quake 4 is impossible to be ran at 1024x765 with AAx4 ( running ok with no AA) . just today i got King Kong demo, the game ran awfully slow! the graphics were soo bad i was amazed how slow it can get on a game with such low details :confused: i have played king Kong on 360, every thing looked different then what was on my pc,
    i remeber getting 2800 score on 3dmark 05 with default settings, all AA turned of :confused: i used to get more then that on my 9800pro :(

my specs are
    amd 64 3000 @ 2.0 Ghz
    6800GT
    1 GB pc 4400 memories
    80GB hdd

i really like to know is my system performing at it;s best :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

sharpjaws wrote:
    i got a point of view 6800GT few weeks ago, i have played many games like doom 3, quake 4, fear etc, but most of the games dosent feel like they are being played in full speed of the card to me :confused: doom 3: i ran a demo of it under recommanded settings got a 28 FPS, Fear runs great, Quake 4 is impossible to be ran at 1024x765 with AAx4 ( running ok with no AA) . just today i got King Kong demo, the game ran awfully slow! the graphics were soo bad i was amazed how slow it can get on a game with such low details :confused: i have played king Kong on 360, every thing looked different then what was on my pc,
    i remeber getting 2800 score on 3dmark 05 with default settings, all AA turned of :confused: i used to get more then that on my 9800pro :(

my specs are
    amd 64 3000 @ 2.0 Ghz
    6800GT
    1 GB pc 4400 memories
    80GB hdd

Well I've a 6600GT and had a Radeon 9600xt before that but am no expert.

TBH I wouldn't have thought there would be that big a difference between a 9800pro and the 6600gt !?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sharpjaws wrote:

my specs are
    amd 64 3000 @ 2.0 Ghz
    6800GT
    1 GB pc 4400 memories
    80GB hdd

Try and update your drivers first www.nvidia.com and do a few tests.
    Those games you've mentioned a demanding on all cards!

Also, there is plenty of overclcoking in a 6800GT, try getting Coolbits or Rivaturner and giving it a lash, your RAM is good and and so is your chip! (but it should be done at your own risk)

Also, whats your Mobo? you might need to flash it for updates if its old, or in the Bios menu have you adjusted the pci latency in the AGP setting (if its AGP) to 128? your card producer should have a help page!

Whats the exact model of Card?

also, power? whats your psu? is it strong enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭sharpjaws

thanks for the help, ill try oc and flash every thing,
    i have a Abit kv8pro 3rd eye with k8t800pro chip
    PSU is a 480Wat Antech ,

oh and it's an AGP card
    i checked my Bios again, it showed that PCI latency was set to 64, so i set it to 128, and it also showed AGP xxx ( i forgot what it was ) was set to 128 , should i change any thing there?

sharpjaws wrote:
    oh and it's an AGP card
    i checked my Bios again, it showed that PCI latency was set to 64, so i set it to 128, and it also showed AGP xxx ( i forgot what it was ) was set to 128 , should i change any thing there?

if it a 256 card chage it to 256 :-)

let us know how it goes mate!!

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    if it a 256 card chage it to 256 :-)

let us know how it goes mate!!
    ok it was AGP Apereture size that was set to 128 :P(no idea what it is

sharpjaws wrote:
    ok it was AGP Apereture size that was set to 128 :P(no idea what it is

any improvements?

/edit here is a good link http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1803&page=3

nop :( just changed my driver, gona test it again ,

sharpjaws wrote:
    nop :( just changed my driver, gona test it again ,

make sure you instal the driver right! virus guard off and completely uninstal the old one including profiles! then reinstal! :-) then virus guard back up

ye thanks. ill try to do a format later on my system..hdd been full lately :o

• Advertisement

sharpjaws wrote:
    ye thanks. ill try to do a format later on my system..hdd been full lately :o

flash after you do that :- http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/flashmenu.php

and then adjust your bios ! with the tweaks

did a clean install of xp, every thing is normal now :) things looks oke, thanks

On a related matter :)
    I installed the latest nvidia drivers last night and now I can't overclock my 6600GT.
    On the previous drivers (maybe 1/2 months old) I could overclock from the Nvidia control Panel.
    Now the option to overclock is gone !? Any ideas why ?

Cheers,
    Brian.

brianon wrote:
    On a related matter :)
    I installed the latest nvidia drivers last night and now I can't overclock my 6600GT.
    On the previous drivers (maybe 1/2 months old) I could overclock from the Nvidia control Panel.
    Now the option to overclock is gone !? Any ideas why ?

Cheers,
    Brian.
    u have to enabel manual oc in rivatuner, then it will apper on the cp of nvidia

or coolbits2 get them at http://www.guru3d.com/

great site

Thanks guys. I got it going after some googling ;)

Had to edit the registry and add a dword value to NVTweak.

Now the option to OC is there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

i too have a 6800gt and couldn't be happier with it all the above tweaks come part and parcell of a new graphics card and i would deem all of them necessary..
    all i'll say is be careful when overclocking!!

i've blown up a 9800pro in the past:( no warning!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Well im buying a 6800gt off boards and wondering will it now play all those games on high???? and have you tried it with BF2 and if so whats it handle like??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

What I have seen happen a lot is that AGP is disabled on systems. Just run dxdiag and you can see if it is enabled or not. Reinstalling the chipset drivers usually fixes this issue.

Advertisement