Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Mods: Why ban lists?

Options
  • 14-11-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I see a "top ten worst actors" list was locked a few days back and this makes no sense. Film fans love lists, its part of the fun of debate. I read a few Movie forums and this is the first time Ive seen this happen - Empire's site even has a seperate forum! http://www.empireonline.co.uk/forum/tt.asp?forumid=13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

linky to this locked post?

As far as i can see there are numerous threads with "lists" that havnt been locked such as the stickied boards.ie movie list, total film -top 100 and top 20 most overrated films. Most likely the thread was locked for another reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Cant find the link, I presume it was deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd love to write a really witty 'Top 10 Reasons Why Film Mods Ban Lists'...

....but I'm tired and I'm going to bed...

10. because they are bored.
    9. because they are not tired
    8. because they have a sense of humour like monkeyfudge.
    etc etc etc.

crap i'm going to bed aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well first of all, there was an agreement between a number of mods that "Postwhoring" threads were to be shut down, and that included all the "What song are you listening to now" threads on all the different music forums, the "Last film you watched" and so forth, or basically anything where you could have quick little one or two word replies. They often stifle a lot of discussion.

Then there's the fact that when someone posts a top 10, someone else posts another top 10, and it very quickly becomes spam. I've seen this on the rock/metal board quite a few times, and as soon as you get best, or top 10 best, guitarists, you suddenly get a rake of other threads for bassists, drummers, singers, keyboardists, spoons players, and usually you also get worst, or bottom 10 crap aswell. There's honestly never any discussion in these threads at all, it's just all spam and it gets out of hand very quick.

Empire have an entire forum for lists? That's great. It's probably there just because they didn't want all those pointless threads clogging up other forums.

Hope that answers everything.

• Advertisement

Hope that answers everything.

you didnt put it in a list :(

Advertisement