Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to show a foreign person in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-11-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Girlfriend is over for the next 10 days, and I'm trying to think what to show her in the City, that first off, would be cultural and fun, and secondly, maybe the kind of things that tourists wouldn't normally get to see. It would be nice for her to get a unique sort of experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the galleries
    kilmainham, national and the one off parnell square.

it really depends on what shes into, take the tourbus to glendalough.
    err dublinia?

pheonix park, spot some deer.

Marlborough street spot some homeless drunks?

i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

How about a 'haunted' tour of Dublin?

Take her to St Michan's Church were you can go down into the catacombs and see mummified bodies.

Or you could take her to Rathfarnham castle for a guided tour of this haunted castle. Afterwards pop into the 'Yellow House' (a well established pub) for some excellent food and drink.

Or discover the best kept secret in Dublin - 'The Grave Diggers' pub beside Glasnevin Cemetry were you will meet some 'real' Dublin characters and sup on the finest pint of plain...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

moved to 'things to do in dublin when youre dead......'

moved to 'things to do in dublin when youre dead......'
    Thats deadly!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'm not sure if her curiousity is that morbid ;) but good ideas none the less. I think I'll try that St. Michans one. Keep 'em coming!

• Advertisement

Mate, I would take her on a day trip OUT of the city.

Show her somewhere like the 'Blue Light' pub were you will take in some amazing views of the city and get some good 'craic agus ceol'.

Or how about 'Johnny Foxes' pub which even though has been overrun by tourists has some great seafood and is well worth the experience?

(Jeez getting all misty eyed now remembering it when I was a kid and it was an old farmer brown type of place with dogs asleep at the fire).

I presume you have a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I really enjoyed a bike tour i took in BCN, still touristy but also off the beaten path, thought it would be a good way to see city here also a googled and found this article it sounds like it has potential, http://travel.guardian.co.uk/activities/cycling/story/0,7447,449134,00.html

although i not sure if there is one here anymore

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

dSTAR wrote:
    Mate, I would take her on a day trip OUT of the city.

Show her somewhere like the 'Blue Light' pub were you will take in some amazing views of the city and get some good 'craic agus ceol'.

Or how about 'Johnny Foxes' pub which even though has been overrun by tourists has some great seafood and is well worth the experience?

(Jeez getting all misty eyed now remembering it when I was a kid and it was an old farmer brown type of place with dogs asleep at the fire).

I presume you have a car?

Yeah thats what I was gonna suggest, I love it up there, great view of the city but might be a bit cold this time of year and you'd only really go up for the view cause the pub itself wouldnt be great, bit small, theres a cool little beer garden outside it... Nice pints too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

whereabouts is the blue light pub ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Its just up past the Lamb Doyles pub in stepaside... Take the turn right at Lambs and keep heading up the mountain, its about a 5 minute drive from there... Cant miss it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

If the foreign persons' English is good enough

a ghostbus tour is chilling,
    Dublinia might be of interest as well.
    The national gallery or other galleries are quite nice.
    Kilmainham Goal is cool and cheap.
    They have lovely burgers in the Zoo, although 13 euros in is atrocious,
    or a nice tea in the "tea room" just outside the Zoo and still in the
    Phoenix Park.

A viking splash tour is funny as well "rroarr".

Outside of Dublin I think the Bray Head is nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Russborough House, Blessington has a hedge maze which is pretty cool.

You could bring her clay-pigeon shooting in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

The Bank of Ireland in College Green (opposite Trinity college) used to be the parliament house in Dublin. You can go in to see the Great Hall which is still there, and there is some exhibition pieces like coins and letters on show too. I think it was disused for this purpose some time in the 1700's.

Advertisement