Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime 95 fails after 18 hours

Options
  • 14-11-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm after overclocking my A64 3000 winchester for the first time and thought everything was going well but it's after failing prime 95 after 18 hours with a 0.5/0.4 error. Is this a big problem? Various guides i've read say 12 hours is fine for prime95 testing but i remember seeing Col Loki say 24hours was good so I figured I'd ask here.

It was a modest overclock 2250mhz 9X250htt @4x with Ram at a 166 divider. I have the cpu on stock voltage and the ram at 1.7v, so I was thinking that maybe upping the voltage on the cpu could stabilise but would appreciate any input ye have. (cool and quiet is disabled, pci/agp is locked at 67)

System specs are:

Specs on the machine are as follows
    Antec Sonata case and 380w psu
    Amd64 3000+
    (cool and quiet is disabled, pci/agp is locked at 67)
    1gb ram (twinmos generic 3200 passes memtest at 220mhz)
    msi k8n neo2 platinum mobo
    Asus x800xt pe gfx
    80gb os hdd & 160gb storage
    DVD rom drive
    DVD+/- rw drive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

diff up the cpu voltage.....prime 95 should run for 24hrs no probs when u do that. Either up it by .5 or 1 depending on how high u push the ht.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

After 18hours i dont think i would care if it falled after 18hours. Unless you plan on leaving it on 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Generally the whole "leave it running for 24hrs or its not stable" is to take into account the different outside factors which change over the entire day. Ie When its morning it may be hotter than at night, your heating might come on at a certain time .... etc etc

If the system is running for 18hours then it is very very close to being 100% stable and is very unlightly to cause you any problems. Upping the voltage by .025v or .05v should make it 24hour stable, without effecting the chip in a negative way.

Advertisement