Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Cinema

Options
  • 13-11-2005 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello, I’m new here, I just hope this is the right board for the question I'm going to ask...
    I’ve started collecting information about d-cinema (it’s the subject of my thesis) and I discovered that in Ireland there’s this big project of installing digital projectors in every cinema and downloading films via satellite (wow!)
    Since the project start date is march 2005, I was wondering if any cinema has already converted to digital… has anybody tried this new experience?

I'm Italian, so excuse me for the mistakes in my writing :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'm not totally sure but I think Eye Cinema in Galway has some digital cinema technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Julianne

Thanks, Joe... I could contact Eye Cinema; they might (generously) give me some information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The capitol in Thurles has got the digital equipment in back in march, but were not sent any digital films (by satalite or other means) which made all the equipment useless for a good few months (including when Star Wars Episode 3 played) But i'm guessing they have got films in by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Julianne - here is a large report done by the Arts Council of Ireland about cinema in Ireland and Wales, and it contains a chapter about Digital Cinema.

http://www.artscouncil.ie/library/downloads/cinema_report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

This will be so cool.
    Will this mean same release dates across the globe?

• Advertisement

The_Goose wrote:
    Will this mean same release dates across the globe?

theoretically yes, and it could be a way to prevent piracy :rolleyes:

thank you all for the info, i've read the report about cinema in ireland and wales, and it was very useful. the problem about d-cinema is that information from official sources is so scarce :( ...

Julianne wrote:
    Thanks, Joe... I could contact Eye Cinema; they might (generously) give me some information :)

A friend of mines uncle built the place so if I can find out anything I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Julianne wrote:
    I’ve started collecting information about d-cinema (it’s the subject of my thesis) and I discovered that in Ireland there’s this big project of installing digital projectors in every cinema and downloading films via satellite (wow!)
    There is a small software company in Thurles that is creating S/W to do this. They have got a major contract with an American cinema company. Don't know the name of the company but they are based in the Technology Park. I was talking to owner a few months ago, he was telling me about the contract.

Rabies wrote:
    Don't know the name of the company
    the name of the company is Avica. I've got only some general info, like the type of projectors, the start/end dates of the project (march2005/april 2006), number of screens (all), but that's all. It seems impossible to know if there are already projectors installed, and where, or if any digital content had been displayed.
    In Italy there are not more than 10 digital screens, so this Irish project really interests my professor (sob)...
    thanks again, that's very kind of you... from these posts i have info which could be very useful :)

Just sent you a private message re: eyecinema

• Advertisement
Advertisement