Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mersenne.org torture test

Options
  • 13-11-2005 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

This isn't exactly about overclocking, but you guys might have a better clue as to what I should try...

I've an older machine based on an Athlon 2600+. Never been O/Ced. WinXP installed, and after running fine for about a year, I started getting BSOD's. After many weeks of swapping, tweaking, reinstalling, etc, etc, I came across the Torture Test for the mersenne prime Prime95 proggie, and it said I had dodgy hardware. It was a Jetway mobo, and Kingston ValueRAM. So I swapped the mobo for a mercury - still had the problem. Swapped RAM for Crucial, no dice. So I figured the problem was with the CPU - and according to the forums, probably not unusual and was probably the cause. So I bought a 2600+ CPU on ebay - but mersenne still craps out and says I've dodgy hardware. Yesterday, I decided to install Linux (just to eliminate WinXP) and mersenne still gives the same error... Replaced PSU for 450W model - same story. Temps on boards, etc, all OK. Checked BIOS voltages, all OK. Adjusted memory timings, still no difference.

So, anyone every heard of Prime95 before and trust it? What's the chances of getting two dodgy CPU's? Is it probably the CPU then? Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What cooling you useing? How did you mount the heatsink?

Did you use thermal paste.?

Have you tried increasing the cpu voltage?

Run any tests on the memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Krazy, I'm using a copper core cooler with fan and thermal paste. I haven't tried increasing the CPU voltage - mainly because I don't know how to - I'll google some info and try it (feel free to post some links :-). I've tested memory in different machines, all fine. Used memtest - never a prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

prime95 is very trusted and also you said you are getting BSOD'S so there is definitly a hardware fault there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 esmurph

it looks like you've tried everything else so i reckon, unless your using the mobo graphics, that its your graphics card. Have you all the latest drivers??

BSOD's can be caused by not just bad hardware but bad drivers also. However if prime says you've bad hardware then you most likely do.

Swap the graphics card and see what happens.

That is if your using a graphics card.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Id say to increase the voltage. I remember reading a while back that some of the older athlons started to need a bit more voltage after long use.

Another thing to look out for is mabye some thermal paste or anything comductive got on the cpu socket. Any swapping and changing after can move it around. Happened to me and I just managed to spot it.

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    prime95 is very trusted and also you said you are getting BSOD'S so there is definitly a hardware fault there.

True, and I've also tested using Ubuntu (linux) so it's nothing to do with Windows drivers...definitely a hardware fault!

esmurph wrote:
    it looks like you've tried everything else so i reckon, unless your using the mobo graphics, that its your graphics card. Have you all the latest drivers??

BSOD's can be caused by not just bad hardware but bad drivers also. However if prime says you've bad hardware then you most likely do.

Swap the graphics card and see what happens.

That is if your using a graphics card.....

I'm using a graphics card. A mate just gave me a lend of a fairly basic graphics card, so I'm going to try it with the new graphics card later. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

bardcom wrote:
    I'm using a graphics card. A mate just gave me a lend of a fairly basic graphics card, so I'm going to try it with the new graphics card later. Thanks.

dont think prime95 tests graphics card, only cpu+ram so dont think it would be a problem with graphics card. How long does it take prime95 to come up with the errors??? a few mins or hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

prime it in safe mode for the crack, you can be sure that drivers arent crapping out then.

Also, try stress prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

What error message does the BSOD give you? Its normally a good indication of whats the problem.

If you have 2 sticks of Ram , try only using one. Again the time that Prime95 stops is a good help.
    What version of the Xp2600+ did you get? Ie the core, or the actual speed? Can you tell us what voltage is going to the chip? Is there only one fan in your system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement