Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Bites Dog

Options
  • 13-11-2005 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to recall was this movie banned in Ireland, and if so is it still banned? I really enjoyed the satire/ (biting) black humour in it.

I just can't recall if it caused a fuss when it was released:confused:
    "I like to start the week with a Postman."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sadly it wasnt and was in cinemas and on dvd rental.

possibly one of the worse movies i have ever seen :(

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I really enjoyed this film when it came out,I still have the original (Tartan Video)tape of this.

It caused a fuss in the UK because of the rape scene.

X

yeah it was banned for a while. Network 2 of course screened it at 8pm, which was a real bright move, rape and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

i can certainly understand why one may feel that. However i think its was brave direction to take on the subject matter and tackle it the way he did. Quite brilliant and original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darbyogill

I thought it was brilliant too. Definitely not for everyone (i'm very selective in who i recommend it to), but i'll never forget this movie.

• Advertisement

darbyogill wrote:
    i'm very selective in who i recommend it to
    Not one for the Mother in law alright!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 darbyogill

No, certainly not for the mother-in-law. unless, of course, you crave a divorce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Hi braniacs.

'Man Bites Dog' was banned on 20th March, 2003 on video.

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/pdfs/ir250303.pdf (search for 'bites')

That said, my local HMV has a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I think there was a bit of an outcry when it was released...
    Saw it a couple of years ago on Channel 4 (don't remember it being screened on RTE). It was ****ed up but I thought it was a good flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Hi braniacs.

'Man Bites Dog' was banned on 20th March, 2003 on video.

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/pdfs/ir250303.pdf (search for 'bites')

That said, my local HMV has a copy.
    According to the IMDB, Man Bites Dog was originally banned, but was "re-rated" 18. If only ifco.ie had some actually useful information, we'd be able to get some solid answers here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

To be honest the Censor's Office don't have a clue about what's going on at all.

I requested a list of banned films from them last year and they sent me a list that claimed A Clockwork Orange and Monty Python's Meaning of Life (among others) were still banned when this clearly isn't the case.

I pointed this out to them and they just sent me an email basically saying that the films I pointed out weren't on their list - but they were.

Maybe they've got their act together a bit since then.

Try it out - email and ask for a list of films that are currently banned in Ireland and see what they send back, if they answer at all that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Haha, I misread the title as "Man About Dog" and wondering what the HELL everybody was on about a rape scene for...

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac
    I agree... I thought it was an awful film.

It just all seemed pointlessly nasty... and it really wasn't as funny and satirical as it thought it was being.

well part of the point of the film was for you to feel wrong for laughing at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

BopNiblets wrote:
    Haha, I misread the title as "Man About Dog" and wondering what the HELL everybody was on about a rape scene for...

I felt mind-raped after watching Man About Dog.

Ooooh what a bag of ****e it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It was dreadful. Not shocking either - unless shockingly bad counts.
    Reminds me of another bad film where reality tv contestants have to kills each other (with guns). That one at least had a couple of funny bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pwd wrote:
    It was dreadful. Not shocking either - unless shockingly bad counts.
    Reminds me of another bad film where reality tv contestants have to kills each other (with guns). That one at least had a couple of funny bits.
    That was Series 7: The Contenders

It was a nice enough idea... but it just didn't work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

That was Series 7: The Contenders

It was a nice enough idea... but it just didn't work very well.

I thought that was a complete bag of crap.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!;)

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I thought it was a kinda cool idea, but these disturbingly violent movies dont really do it for me, I just find it nasty, and not very nice.
    I mean, I like Ichi killer, cause it was funny and cool, and the violence was kinda comical. but I dont like erm when its just real violent and horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trace

I thought it was brilliant. You just cant beat a ****ed up film.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there's a poor rip off of man bites dog called the last horror movie.

I liked Man bites dog well enough, its an entertaining film with a interesting style. Not the greatest film, but interesting enough and engaging characters. Also very funny in a dark way
    the dedications are great

Advertisement