Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dialling other VOIP users

Options
  • 13-11-2005 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I am with broadtalk at the moment. I use my normal BT corless phone with an ATA. I notice calling other VOIP users (Different networks) is free? How do I dial their numbers? I know if I want to call other broadtalk customers, then I just dial the short account number and I get through. But how do I dial another provider like a Skype number?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

snaps wrote:
    I am with broadtalk at the moment. I use my normal BT corless phone with an ATA. I notice calling other VOIP users (Different networks) is free? How do I dial their numbers? I know if I want to call other broadtalk customers, then I just dial the short account number and I get through. But how do I dial another provider like a Skype number?

Skype is a propriatry protocol so you can't dial users. I think Skype in allows this but it will not be free.

With VOIP users will often have an 076 number. If you dial this from Broadtalk it should be free. Blueface give 076 numbersm if you dial a Blueface user it should be free. Ask Broadtalk about getting an 076 so people can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Yes, you can ring other VOIP numbers anywhere in the world for free. I've done it from Blueface to FWD and vice-versa.

If you are using a softphone, you can enter in the actual VOIP "number", for example 1234@blueface.ie. However if you are using a real phone, you probably can't enter symbols like that, so you would dial a code to tell your VOIP provider which network you want, followed by the number on that network. For example, *2123456 from Blueface would get me the number 123456 in the FWD network.

The code you use will depend on your network. One gotcha I ran into is that your ATA dialplan has to allow the codes through, otherwise you will not be able to dial them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Skype in (regular phone numbers in US UK FR and a few others) and other PSTN numbers will most likely incur a charge, unless your provider has made special provision for them. Most providers do what frost describes with the breakout codes.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is there a list of these dial codes for the VOIP providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That would be down to each provider.

e.g. http://www.blueface.ie/support/useful.aspx

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MN

snaps wrote:
    Hi Snaps, just out of curiosity, which ATA do you use? I have been struggling to get my Grandstream 486 ATA with Broadtalk with no luck. I am also having trouble getting incoming calls though it works some times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi MN,
    I was waiting ages for the grandstream ATA, So they gave me a free upgrade with their own ATA/Router. I just plugged it into my ntl cable modem and away it went after a minute or so. No problems with making or recieving calls so far (Touch wood).

Advertisement