Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/SAT in N.W. ?..

Options
  • 12-11-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Here in the North West, we seem to have a strange 'Analogue TV & Satellite reception dilemma. Some areas pick up normal UTV/BBC channels etc, without problems, while some only receive RTE1, RTE2 ?...

As a 'Finn Valley' resident and EX-$KY Digital Sat 'Subscriber' I am still receiving a great selection of SAT channels and now 'Free to Air' BBC + UTV/ITV + ITV4 and even SKY3 ! plus a massive selection of 'digital' radio channels. While I can get RTE etc through my normal analogue rooftop aerial.

I was just wondering what TV system/setup others use, how good/bad is it in different parts of the North West, and are you happy with what you are or can receive, and what it is costing you ?...

I know there are a few questions raised here, but the reason for this thread is that I am genuinely surprised just how little people really know (including me) about what TV/Satellite/Broadband stations are available for very little or even 'NO COST'.

Maybe other 'NorthWesterners' might like to share individual experiences on this subject, or how do we get the 'Best Deal' up here in the N.W. ?... :eek:

P.:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, here in Glencar, Letterkenny, getting the 4 NI channels from Strabane Transmitter and then the 4 Irish channels from oh, I forget the name now. Sadly, I hoped I'd be using Limavady transmitter, which has Freeview transmissions, but alas, it's not the case.

Then I have Sky's entertainment pack, due to there being very little to watch on the 8 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

In the twin towns we the 4 NI channels and rte 1&2 and tg4 but in most parts still no TV3. I dont know why. Maybe because of the valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

rte transmitter in Raphoe?

byte

j22 wrote:
    In the twin towns we the 4 NI channels and rte 1&2 and tg4 but in most parts still no TV3. I dont know why. Maybe because of the valley.
    The Transmitter in Twin Towns doesnt' carry TV3, down to the fact TV3 didn't pay for all small transmitters to carry their channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

I used to get BBC, UTV CH 4 on analogue from Enniskillen but the signal quality wasn't as good as it used to be (and I hear they are getting rid of analogue in the north) so I got a English sky box and free to view card on e bay so now I've the all the English free channels. I get rté from my Irish sky box

• Advertisement
    byte

All NI transmitters are planned to switch off analogue between 2010 and 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

that means like it or lump it evreyone will have to change to chorus sky or ntl:confused::confused:

byte

Basically, yes. Though, depending on how strong the digital signals will be, maybe a Freeview box will work then.

By that time though, I'd hope RTE will have their digital network up and running! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I got a cheap freeview box just to give it a try, but only managed to pick up 6 BBC channels (2 of them are radio ones). I'm going to wait until the nice weather (if we ever get any!) to try and move the ariel and see if we get anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

4 Irish channels, and BBC, UTV & Channel 4 on analogue from the North...

• Advertisement
    byte

magnumlady wrote:
    I got a cheap freeview box just to give it a try, but only managed to pick up 6 BBC channels (2 of them are radio ones). I'm going to wait until the nice weather (if we ever get any!) to try and move the ariel and see if we get anymore.
    Yeah, I think the BBC's on digital offer better signals because they use a different 16QAM to most of the commercial channels (64QAM). Basically, 16QAM can carry less channels, but signals are supposedly better than 64QAM, which can sqeeze more channels per multiplex.

Relevant links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview

Advertisement