Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Led Zeppelin

Options
  • 11-11-2005 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

They have been my favourite band since i was a wee pup they are the epitome of ROCK. they're melodic, original, powerful and just plain class.

John Bonham was arguably one of the best drummers in the world, Jimmy Page one of the most skilful and creative guitarists and Robert Plants voice is unbelievable and not to forget John Paul Jones blistering bass lines.

so vote for em! :v: :v:
    2503f.jpg

Led Zeppelin 86 votes

bought me a stairway to heaven, the legends!
    0% 0 votes
    should have been eaten by moby dick!
    100% 86 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I agree (although I have no recollection of there ever being a thread about them anywhere on boards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Without doubt the greatest band of all time. Ever

I fourth this wholesome suggestion. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

John Bonham was arguably one of the best drummers in the world

I think its safe to say he was the best rock'n'roll drummer of all time. So many quality songs, what a band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Great band. The best way to make music...tanked up on chemicals!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree until the lemon juice runs down my leg! Ooooo er missus! :eek:

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

What a band. Are there any girls out there who like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

andrew wrote:

Yep, here's a girl that thinks they're f*ckin' fantastic!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

andrew wrote:

I don't like them
    I lurve them

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jimmypage100

zeppelin have to be the greatest band of all time!! baceuase they were a true band. no member was replaceable despite all the money they could have made!!true rockers!!legends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Without doubt the greatest band of all time. Ever

Agreed. Brilliant band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

A true miracle of a band. The sheer diversity of the music they created is staggering. Four masterclass musicians with incredible imagination and drive to keep diversifying (sp?), backed up with the chutzpah of knowing without doubt exactly how good they really were.
    One thing that always makes me smile is the fact that right wing Christian lunatics have pored over the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven for days on end and played it backwards looking for the hidden satanic messages, when Robert Plant actually wrote it very quickly (as in, just a few drafts). He just had the talent to pluck crazy imagery from the ether and put it on the page in no time at all.

It is hard to pick a favourite album. IV is the obvious choice; 7 of the 8 tracks would belong on a Best Of compliation (Four sticks being the exception, although still a good song).

Any group that goes to work on a hotel room with Samurai swords really know what rock n' roll is all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Great band indeed, but I wouldn't rank them any higher than any of the other rock/blues/prog legends: Cream, Hendrix, Floyd, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Greatest band ever full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

there's no valid reason to not like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

there's a female led zeppelin cover band playing in dublin at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

IMO Best band ever without a doubt, so many classic songs and riffs.
    I would say the most talented band musically too, personally inspired me to take up the guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

i agree the inspired me too been playing 23 years now... but i dont think there is such a thing as best band just good songs..

Personal opinion their the best... but theres so many other great bands like AC/DC, Floyd, Cream etc etc, its hard to say their the best, but I just believe they are :D

dont think there last studio album was very good at all , had good ideas but didnt pull it off.. but i respect what you are saying .

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean, it wasn't up to the usual Zeppelin standard but was still good me thinks. The first four albums were outstanding though.
    Especially the fourth one " Symbols"

i totaly agree,,, classic rock each and every one ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

andrew wrote:

Yes, many. o/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

there's a female led zeppelin cover band playing in dublin at some point

Lez Zeppelin. They played in Dublin in the weeks before they played at Download (Donington) back in early June.

Fvcking amazing they were too at Download. Not to mention _incredibly_ easy on the eye. Oh yes .....

Without doubt the surprise highlight of Download for me. And that was when you consider the other names in the mix; Iron Maiden (performing on their home turf ... ), Dream Theater, Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, Slayer, MegaDeth, Velvet Revolver, etc.

And yes, Led Zeppelin are outstanding! I have a live version of Kashmir that's 12+ mins long and sends shivers down my spine, performed by Paige & Plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They're not the best band ever as that honour goes to The Beatles but they're damn close.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

20 million people already looking for tickets. Enough said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

LZ died with Jon Bonham.

Although I can't remember their Live-Aid reunion set, Back in 1988 I taped their set for the "Altantic at 50" bash, which was shown once, and they never allowed to be repeated, for good reason.

Jimmy Page played like he had a pair of boxing gloves on. Plant, Jones and Bonham's son played well, but Page couldn't hold a note.

Their closing number in the set was to be Stairway to Heaven, but right up until going onstage, Plant refused to sing the it and said he would walk off-stage.

When the penultimate number finished, Plant duly shouted "Thank you and good night!" and proceeded to start walking off-stage until Page started playing Stairway.

As for the future gig, unless they've re-engerised themselves like The Who have managed to do since the arrival of Ringo Starr's son on the drums, I'd say this has to be one of the most over-hyped gigs in years.

Advertisement