Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When hoodies attack

Options
  • 10-11-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the report on the six one news on Wednesday about Michael Noonan's call to ban hoodies in shopping centres? If you ask me this would be a fairly superficial measure that would do nothing to reduce violent crime- it's not the hoodies that are the problem, but the people in them.

The rubberbandits
    rubberbanditsmall.jpg
    may run into a few difficulties if it goes ahead....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I heard them talk about it on news tak
    Langers is all i have to say.
    Wheres me hoddie

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lets be serious here, lads. He doesn't want to ban hoodies, thats just stupid.

What he wants to ban is people wearing the actual hoods over their heads while in shopping centers (particularly in shops). People wearing hoods can hide their faces from CCTV, which makes catching shoplifters (and identifying them afterwards) difficult.

I think its a good idea.

Its like banks banning motorcycle helmets. Exact same principle, and makes total sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

yeah i think its a good idea too

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I see what they're saying about hoodies, but on the other hand it would be annoying to have to decide when you're getting dressed if your plans for the day are going to include being in a shopping centre. They can't just ban hoods being up, either it will have to be an all out ban on hoodies. It takes two seconds to pull up a hood, grab something and leave a shop. It's also going to affect almost all of the youths of Limerick. Most people wear hoodies sometimes, and it's not as if banning them will stop knackers wearing raincoats with the hoods up. Think they could successfilly ban raincoats in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya you can respect them wanting the hoods down when your in a shopping centre or shop but it would be a stupid idea to ban hoodies being worn all together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

IceHawk wrote:
    They can't just ban hoods being up, either it will have to be an all out ban on hoodies. It takes two seconds to pull up a hood, grab something and leave a shop. It's also going to affect almost all of the youths of Limerick. Most people wear hoodies sometimes, and it's not as if banning them will stop knackers wearing raincoats with the hoods up. Think they could successfilly ban raincoats in Limerick?

Of course you can just ban hoods being up. Why do people have a problem with this. No one is stopping them wearing a hoodie anywhere. Just making them pull the hood down in shops. If a knack pulls his hood up in the shop and then robs something hes on cctv before he pulled his hood up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, ok i didnt actually understand exactly what was being proposed... i would agree with that! It makes sense, and shopkeepers i'm sure would feel safer! I guess it would be an indoor ban in public buildings ban rather than just sc's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

well i dont wear hoodys at all so i think its a good idea really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mr.sparkle

Hoddies in limerick are intimidating.I would not walk at night in an area here anymore! The gardai are not doing enough in Limerick and most of those wearing hoodies are the ones that hang around and cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

How come they need to propose anything?

Couldnt the local shops simply
    have security not allow people in if they have a Hoody up the same way
    that they wont allow someone in if they have a motorbike helmet on
    or the same way nite/clubs may refuse entry based on their
    ROAR sign and the neat dress sign ?

I can see signs like the No Dogs allowed signs going up. A big sign with a Hoody
    and a Big Red X going through it.

I am in agreement about not letting hoods being UP while in a shop. I own
    2-3 black hoodies and wear them when I am Cold or when I am cycleing.
    I have neve walked around the town in shops with the hood Up though.

on the flipside:
    When I was younger I often got refused entry to pubs etc because I had
    a pair of new rock boots on over my jeans. I thought it was a bit crazy
    getting stopped just cos I had a pair of boots on and they were not stopping
    any women who had boot on over their jeans. Just cos I was a guy
    it was considered some how rough looking or not wanted. I can relate
    to this being the case for some hoodie wearing people.

It would make you wonder if it would stop at hoodies. What next would they
    stop you from wearing gloves inside shops cos you wont leave any finger prints.
    would peoples proposels start to get crazy?

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

OK, I've changed my mind. As long as it's not an outright ban on hoodies in shopping centres, but on hoods being up, I have no problem with it. On the other hand, it should be up to the owners of the shopping centre to decide whether or not to implement this ban. It would probably result in shopping centres in certain areas losing a lot of business if it was a government ban. Also, in the case of a government ban, would the requirement be that there would be gardai patrolling shopping centres, looking for miscreants, or would the centre have to hire more security staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If they banned having the hoodie Up or covering the face then
    it may lead to complications.
    Was discussing it with a buddy the other day and he raised the
    question, What about poeple who cover their faces due to religion ?

while not under any religious obligation a lot of muslim woman
    still wear face veils due to etiquette or it being expected of them by
    their hubby's I know if they had strong beliefs they sure aint going
    to simply remove it just cos they want to walk into a shop.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 efrisby007

Did anyone see the newspapers today, a story about a company that have set up a shop online selling hoodies that promote hoodie wear in Ireland, against Micheal Noonan. Its on www.spreadshirt.ie, to promote the cause if any of you fellow hoodie wearers are online.

Advertisement