Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unplugging USB modem freezes computer

Options
  • 10-11-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

For some reason, whenever I unplug my ZyXEL Prestige 630 (supplied by UTV) on my Acer Aspire 5021 laptop with Windows XP, the computer freezes. I don't think this used to happen but it happens every time I do it now. What could be the cause of this?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

dont plug it out shutdown first

But I shouldn't have to do that, right? It should unplug with no hassle and it used to because sometimes I would have to do it a good few times before the connection would appear on my other laptop/pc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Have you updated usb driver(SP2)?,maybe go to laptops manufacturers website and see if they have FAQ about it in support,or maybe you might need a bios update.

Try laptops website first though,if you havent already.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭kazper

are you going through the safely remove hardware steps. I had that problem before i realised i should be clicking on icon to safely remove hardware in task bar

• Advertisement

there is no safely remove icon when the modem is plugged in for some reason, there never has been, on any computer. I've got SP2 and as far as I know all updated drivers. As far as I remember, it never happened before on the same laptop. Could just be a recent thing:(

is your modem operating through a usb port?

yep, it's for broadband, UTV Clicksilver, Prestige 630 Modem which plugs into my USB port:)

puzzling,have a look at the attached to see what i mean by eject icon or if that fails, try stopping it in my computer before unplugging it

Hi,
    thanks for your efforts to help me, appreciated:) however that icon doesn't show up for the modem, it does show up for my printer/mp3 player/almost any other usb device. It has never showed up for the modem on any computer I've used the modem on though. I've also never had the problem with unplugging it before and I don't see why it freezes the computer:confused:

• Advertisement

Ok cormie, sorry i couldnt help ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

it could be that although it connects using usb it's not recognised as a removable device. So unplugging it would be the same as taking out a graphics card without shutting it down: not going to be pretty!

In which case the only way to remove it is to shutdown PC first

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Madrugada2

Are you guys stupid? keep repeating the same things even though Cormie has explained in EVERY post (and very clearly) that THIS NEVER USED TO HAPPEN.

Yes, he knows he can unplug his modem once he's shut down his computer... but that's not what he's asking. He's asking WHY NOW? Suddenly. After all this time?

What change has happened?

he's also right: he shouldn't have to close his comp to reboot his modem (for whatever reason he wants to.. even if just for fun). he wants to unplug his modem and reconnect. Simple. It's a common thing we all do.

Like every forum the question NEVER gets answered. people can't solve it and so they answer a question that's not been asked.

I've the same problem as Cormie. For three years I've unplugged and replugged my modem (up to 50 times a day) and never once did my system ever lock up or freeze. In the last week it locks and I have to cold kill the system.

IT WASN'T the case for THREE years, so why now? It's a system prob, not a user fault. What is the system problem and how can it be fixed? (not worked around)

ps: I don't expect any answer or intelligent response... probably someone will answer my question by suggesting I remove all the keys, and change my touch pad, reinstall windows, use Firefox and if that don't work: commit suicide! They'll tell me everything I'm not asking and the only thing I want to know they'll be quiet on. Come on geeks... one of you must be clear headed and smart enough to solve this simple problem. X

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zombie thread closed. Also loose the attitude and make a new thread if you are having the same problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement