Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the sticks

Options
  • 10-11-2005 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I heard a rumour that maybe someone can confirm, is stradbally, co. waterford about to get wireless broadband? If so, I want to get the family home signed up ASAP...anyone hear anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Sorry this is of no help whatsoever I don't know about Stradbally. I'm gonna hijack your thread and ask does anyone know if it will become available in South Wexford soon,this dial up drives me nuts!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Eh, Wexhun, we have it in New Ross. Wexhun, just out of curiousity, what part of South Wexford are you from? (I'm not being a stalker or anything, just curious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

An update, does anyone have any experience of broadband in Portlaw, Co Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have a look at www.broadband.gov.ie - you can see what services are available in your area

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Okay, here's an update. It looks like the company I heard about (ardmore technologies, dungarvan) are to supply wireless broadband to An Rinn and surrounding areas (gaeltacht) but I havent heard anything about stradbally (or portlaw, or south wexford...sorry!)

here's the link I found: http://www.deise.ie/pobal/leathan.html

dudara, I dont suppose you went to st. declan's kilmacthomas?

No, my bf is from Portlaw and is thinking of getting his parents a broadband subscription for xmas

dudara wrote:
    No, my bf is from Portlaw and is thinking of getting his parents a broadband subscription for xmas
    oops, read your first post wrong, trhought you were looking for BB for the gf! :). I'd suggest you try and get in contact with ardmore technologies and see what they say regarding portlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Gees! The best I have is ISDN (only using 1 channel) with "flat rate" 150hrs for the last 3 years and driving me crackers. In Dublin now, I'm trying to get BT Broadband plus including line rental for €35 euro.

The only option outside waterford seems to Digiweb's Satellite €99/month scheme. Terrible Terrible. Will we ever get wireless?

hamster wrote:
    Gees! The best I have is ISDN (only using 1 channel) with "flat rate" 150hrs for the last 3 years and driving me crackers. In Dublin now, I'm trying to get BT Broadband plus including line rental for €35 euro.

The only option outside waterford seems to Digiweb's Satellite €99/month scheme. Terrible Terrible. Will we ever get wireless?
    get on to ardmore technologies, I think I was right the first time about them providing wifi all over the county: http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Group+Broadband+Scheme/Approved+Projects+2nd+phase.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

There was some meetings about this some time ago in the Kilmacthomas area. Digiweb were meant to be the technology provider but they pulled out and ardmore technologies stepped in.

We were told at the meetings that the broadband would be available by September the latest, that's now been and gone and there seems to be no reply or update on it.

The person that's responsible for the south east regional area is Mary Wixted mary.wixted@southtippcoco.ie is her email, you can try contact her and voice some opinion to her about getting a finger out of her bottom and releasing some news.

PS silverlining I went to St. Declans Kilmacthomas :D

Junior wrote:
    There was some meetings about this some time ago in the Kilmacthomas area. Digiweb were meant to be the technology provider but they pulled out and ardmore technologies stepped in.

We were told at the meetings that the broadband would be available by September the latest, that's now been and gone and there seems to be no reply or update on it.

The person that's responsible for the south east regional area is Mary Wixted mary.wixted@southtippcoco.ie is her email, you can try contact her and voice some opinion to her about getting a finger out of her bottom and releasing some news.

thanks for the info, I'm not in touch with the waterford grapevine these days. I'll see when I get home this christmas.
    Junior wrote:
    Heil Seanin! I finished there in 97, been in galway since. I like your car modder's site btw, not really my thing but modding stuff appeals to me (and I see many cruises that pass by my apartment in galway where they have a handy spot in the middle of town). Why dont you put a link in your boards.ie signature to spread the word a bit?

Thanks for the info guys.

I have been looking at the gov page

I'm inquirying this crowd at the moment for Kilmacthomas.

http://www.mediasat.ie/homebb.htm

Here the thread:

I came across your Broadband product services via
    http://www.broadband.gov.ie.

Is it possible to provide your Broadband Home 256/512 products near
    Kilmacthomas, outside Waterford? I have been reading your information
    provided at your homepage http://www.mediasat.ie/homebb.htm

Reply:
    The good news is we can indeed supply you with broadband at home, our
    two most popular systems are the home512 one way system and the biz512
    two way system.

The home 512 is a one way only satellite broadband system which uses
    your telephone line for the upload to the internet typical 24lps to
    48kps , the download from the internet is via satellite at 512kps so
    that makes for fast surfing and fast downloading.

The biz512 is our entry level two way satellite broadband system, the
    upload at 128kps is via satellite and the download at 512kps is via
    satellite, this system also has a built proxy server which speeds up
    your surfing experience, with this system uploads and downloads are
    fast.

The home 512 is €370 fully installed and the monthly broadband fee is
    €29.99, vat exc.

The biz512 is €990 fully installed and the monthly broadband fee is
    €127, vat exc.

If you opt for the home 512 system and then upgrade to the biz 512
    within one calendar month then we will buy back the home 512 system at
    full cost.

I have attached some information on our 2 way systems which are on
    special offer along with a set of contracts, to order all you need do is
    fill out the appropriate form and email the contract and DD form back to
    me.

Now I haven't read this yet but see what ye think. May still depend on Ardmore technologies.

Attachments:

Satellite sounds great on paper but unfortunately it suffers from high latency. eg clicking on a link in a website involves sending the info via dialup to their base station or in the case of 2-way it is transmitted to the satellite then to their base station and then the station beams it up to the satellite and back down to your house which takes a long time. It's useless for online gaming and P2P file-sharing as well as they both rely on uploading. Most satellite providers allow you to queue large files up for download at a quiet time such as during the night but that hardly helps nowadays when most large files are distributed via bittorrent or emule.

Ardmore may be the only hope, lets hope they dont take the government subsidy and roll out a ****ty service like Irish broadband did with ripwave in Galway.

Yep, I read the details provided and it sounds very restrictive as you said. The contract sounds like a lawyer's pamhlet! Think I'll wait and see what Ardmore Tech. do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I don't check in here as often as I should ...

@ Silverlining - I was gone out of St Declans in 93 :)

The Ledge that is Seanin is still going - he lives just over the road from me ..Thanks for the comments on the site as well - It keeps me going like !

@ Hamster - I also looked into the old sat stuff and to be honest it's not worth a ****, your stuck with dial up to send requests. I think that there will be some movement on the community broadband scheme in jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

there is broadband in wex and waterford a guy called decklin o brien is the guy who owns the company..

i dont know his web site address off me head but ill get it up here as soon as i can his fone number tho is 087 2716154. i have my connection off him and find it very good..

covers from wicklow,wexford, waterford, dungarvan, killkenny

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about BB coming to Kilmacthomas - anyone know anything?

Kilmacthomas, Waterford - Broadband availability within the next few weeks. Mast is going up by the old Union.

I must be dreaming. Smart Telecom and Eircom are going to offer DSL and wireless to the village (this place is practically in stickland) between Waterford and Dungarvan. Prices being mentioned is €30/month (internet part)

Even if it only worked at 512K-1Mb... it still would be science fiction to my ISDN connection. Hope this is NOT a rumour otherwise I'll kill someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

HEHE are yous all still on dial up LMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not everyone has access to broadband you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

I know yeah thats why I was laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

now now cynos!! we all aint as lucky as you!!!!

Advertisement