Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a VoIP setup for a TOTAL noob...

Options
  • 09-11-2005 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been asked/answered before... I did look but could'nt find anything.

I'm a total newbie to this VoIP thing. I'm thinking of using Skype and/or GoogleTalk.

Can anyone suggest how I should set this up? I would be mainly talking (voice) to other people on Skype and/or GoogleTalk, but I would also like to phone Irish landlines and Irish mobiles if possible.

I know Skype to Skype and GoogleTalk to GoogleTalk is free, but whats the best and cheapest way to phone other Irish landlines and Irish mobiles? Is it possible to phone Irish landlines free?

I would also appreciate any other comments/suggestions.

Apologies again if these are stupid questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

What kind of Broadband connection do you have? Would you consider a service like Blueface? I don't know much about Skype or Google Talk. I know you have another thread here, i'll read it later on tonight and post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Gandalf23 wrote:
    I know Skype to Skype and GoogleTalk to GoogleTalk is free, but whats the best and cheapest way to phone other Irish landlines and Irish mobiles? Is it possible to phone Irish landlines free?

As far as I know at the moment the cheapest way to ring Irish landlines would be to get a VoIP ATA (e.g. Grandstream 486 or Linksys PAP2) and sign up with someone like Voipbuster (http://www.voipbuster.com) . Ringing Irish mobiles is a whole different story and you should shop around for the best combination of landline/mobile rates to see what works out the best for your own call mix. You might save a cent a minute on landlines with one provider but pay 5-10 cent a minute more on mobile calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would recommend http://www.blueface.ie I used them to completely get rid of my Eircon line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paulm17781 wrote:
    I would recommend http://www.blueface.ie I used them to completely get rid of my Eircon line.

If you require a incoming number you have to pay 10e monthly fee when using blueface, however broadtalk.ie offering a local number for incoming calls on the pay as you go option.

Of course the downside for this is if you have friends on skype you won't be able to call them if your using blueface or broadtalk, however I'd imagine it wouldn't take much for blueface or broadtalk to allow their customers to phone googletalk users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

What kind of Broadband connection do you have? Would you consider a service like Blueface? I don't know much about Skype or Google Talk. I know you have another thread here, i'll read it later on tonight and post again.

2m/bit EsatBT

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    If you require a incoming number you have to pay 10e monthly fee when using blueface, however broadtalk.ie offering a local number for incoming calls on the pay as you go option.

Of course the downside for this is if you have friends on skype you won't be able to call them if your using blueface or broadtalk, however I'd imagine it wouldn't take much for blueface or broadtalk to allow their customers to phone googletalk users.

I'm sort of confused by this.

I'll clarify... I want to keep my landline, but also want to use VoIP when infront of the computer. I was hoping to talk free to other Skype/GoogleTalk users and if possible Irish landline numbers... all for free.

Is this possible?

bhickey wrote:
    As far as I know at the moment the cheapest way to ring Irish landlines would be to get a VoIP ATA (e.g. Grandstream 486 or Linksys PAP2) and sign up with someone like Voipbuster (http://www.voipbuster.com) .

VoIP Buster sounds like a good deal... maybe TOO good...

Two questions...

1. Anyone any experience of using VoIP Buster?
    2. If I sign up with VoIP Buster am I prohibited from using Skype / GoogleTalk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

Just thought I would let you know my set up at home.
    I have BB with UTV internet and also have their phone package which lets me ring and UK or Ireland landline for free in the evenings and all week end (max call 1hour - house wifes please take note!).:D
    During the day I use skypeout to make landline calls (2c per min to most destination) and I have skype connected to my cordless phone so as i can dial and chat from anywhere in the house - the quality is excellent.
    the hardware I use is called UCONNECT from VOIPVOICE.COM. It cost approx €45 from www.maplin.co.uk. (do a serch on their website0
    You can aslo set up speed dial numbers the cordless to avoid having to dial the full international number when calling numbers that you call often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Gandalf23 wrote:
    1. Anyone any experience of using VoIP Buster?
    2. If I sign up with VoIP Buster am I prohibited from using Skype / GoogleTalk?

1. Yes and it's fine. You can use a software client instead of hardware if you'll only be calling from your PC.
    2. No. The software client that you'd use with Voipbuster is a separate application from the one you'd use for Skype. Download it, signup and try it for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Viopbuster have a sister company called SipDiscount http://www.sipdiscount.com .
    Same idea, but you can use your sip softphone rather than their application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement