Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chipping an old car???

• 09-11-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

My car is 10 years old and has about 177,000 miles on it.
    If I were to chip it I would be looking at a minimum of 30-35bhp increase on the cheapest upgrade.

Is it a problem to chip a car of this mileage? :confused:
    It has a full service history and is good condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Sorry, forgot that I was in "Motors" and not "Modified Motors" when creating this thread.

Move if need be :o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moved to Modifried....

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car is it and what engine size/petrol/diesel?

eireal wrote:
    What car is it and what engine size/petrol/diesel?

It's a Volvo 850 T5 2.3 petrol.
    Already 225bhp which is stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

i dont think the milage would be a big problem if its been well maintained,Are there any other engine mods done on it?youd get alot more from a mapped ecu if there was other internal engine work done,unfortunatly volvo tuning wouldnt be my strongpoint!

• Advertisement

No there is no other mods on it. I know I can get the ECU mapped to about 260bhp or 304bhp without changing anything.

I would stick with the 260bhp as the 304bhp requires 98 unleaded...

The main thing I would be worried about is the mileage. The car in is very good condition and is running well as it is.

Thanks eireal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Any modification to a car will potentially shorten its life but there isn't an issue with the age or mileage - I'd do some research and try to find someone who has done this already to see if there are better places to try and find power. Quite often you will need to alter injectors, induction system or exhaust to get the maximum benefit from chipping a car and you might find there is a cheaper modification which will give a better torque spread or increased bhp. A properly designed induction kit which has been pulse-tuned on a dyno might liberate some horses without the risk of damage or cost associated with a chip tune.

If you are planning a long term experiment you could buy a piggyback chip (http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp) and play with it until you achieved optimum performance but then be able to change back without major work.

Give the guys at TTM a bell and see what they suggest (http://www.tightrope.ie/index.html)...

'c

Advertisement