Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towel Rad Piping

Options
  • 08-11-2005 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Do towel rads have visible pipes going to them? I was always under the impression that the pipes were buried in the wall and came out just behind or below the rad, which is usually fixed a couple of feet from the ground?

But then I was thinking how would the heat from the pipes affect the plaster/tiling adhesive etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,327 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, generally people like to hide piping in the bathroom, not only is there the clutter factor, but concealing the pipes also has practical advantages when cleaning, mopping, painting, etc.

Just make sure you can disconnect the heater without ripping out the wall.

You cna also get electric towel heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Victor wrote:
    Yeah, generally people like to hide piping in the bathroom, not only is there the clutter factor, but concealing the pipes also has practical advantages when cleaning, mopping, painting, etc.

Just make sure you can disconnect the heater without ripping out the wall.

You cna also get electric towel heaters.

Cheers Victor, I was thinking that all the ones I've seen had no visible pipes feeding them. The heat from the pipe buried in the wall shouldn't affect the plaster or the tiling adhesive should it? Do I need insulation on the pipes or something I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The pipes have been connected on what looks like the brackets on the ones I saw being used.

There should be no problem when tiling except to make sure the chrome caps cover the cuts in the tiles, pipe insulation is never really wasted because it keeps the heat in the pipes.

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi,

The pipes have been connected on what looks like the brackets on the ones I saw being used.

There should be no problem when tiling except to make sure the chrome caps cover the cuts in the tiles, pipe insulation is never really wasted because it keeps the heat in the pipes.

Cheers Pete, looks like I'm chasing a wall in a few hours so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

On a related matter, can anyone recommend a good supplier for plumbed heated towel rails? Of the hardware shops I've visited, they generally only have one. I'm looking for a range of sizes.

Also, does anyone have them in their bathroom? Would you recommend?

Thanks,
    /M.

• Advertisement

Manuel wrote:
    On a related matter, can anyone recommend a good supplier for plumbed heated towel rails? Of the hardware shops I've visited, they generally only have one. I'm looking for a range of sizes.

Also, does anyone have them in their bathroom? Would you recommend?

Thanks,
    /M.

Plumber got the chrome one for me. Have to say, I'm much happier with it hanging on the wall. Would have been good at the end of the bath/shower also, but I have a press there, so couldn't really do that. Chased the walls, and buried and we buried insulated pipes. Looks great, and is more functional for throwing towels on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

Do the Towel Rads put out much heat into the room?

I've got an ensuite that doesn't have a normal rad and I was thinking of putting in a towel rad to heat the room. Would I be better off with a bathroom air heater instead?

AgainTheTime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I got some chrome towel rails last year from the UK, seller is on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AWESOME-TOWEL-RAILS-BY-TAPTRADE-LTD

Exactly the same quality as you would get here in the shops for half the price
    (including shipping).

;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

We bought a large chrome heated towel rad (plumbed not electric) for €199 in Clondalkin Builder Providers. It was on special but think they might still be offering it. We love it - looks slick and you find you use it more than a normal rad and its so nice getting out of the shower to a nice toasty towel.

Advertisement