Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU + maybe HD's

Options
  • 08-11-2005 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

2 quick questions:
    I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU to an AMD X2. I have a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D. The DFI should have no problems taking the X2, right?

I was kinda thinking of getting a SATA2 hard drive. Do I need a SATA2 enabled motherboard or will a SATA2 drive run on my DFI LanParty at SATA2 speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

1. Yes, no problems once you have the latest official BIOS (6/23 IIRC)

2. Yes, you need a SATA2 enabled motherboard to run at SATA2 speeds. The SATA2 drive will run at normal SATA speeds on your current motherboard (unless you perform this mod to enable SATA2 on it! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Check out this months pc format, they've a roundup of a few hds. An IDE one came out top, think it was faster than all but 1 of the sata's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Would a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 8MB 10000RPM offer a significant performance increase over the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA 8MB 7200RPM NCQ, which I already have? I've also got 2 x Samsung SP 160GB SATA's in there aswell.

aaf wrote:
    Would a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 8MB 10000RPM offer a significant performance increase over the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA 8MB 7200RPM NCQ, which I already have? I've also got 2 x Samsung SP 160GB SATA's in there aswell.
    Yes, if it's your boot drive and installation drive.
    You'll find the computer booting faster and programs loading faster. However, there are new Samsung drives that are supposed to be faster than the Raptors, eve though their RPM is only 7200.

WizZard wrote:
    Yes, if it's your boot drive and installation drive.
    You'll find the computer booting faster and programs loading faster. However, there are new Samsung drives that are supposed to be faster than the Raptors, eve though their RPM is only 7200.
    And where are these beasts to be found? Tried komplett, overclockers and JES.

• Advertisement

The raptors? They're like hens teeth these days! ;)
    Let me check...

<edit>Here</edit>

You, might be better off getting 2 Samsungs for the price of the Raptor and RAIDing them.

WizZard wrote:
    The raptors? They're like hens teeth these days! ;)
    Let me check...

<edit>Here</edit>

You, might be better off getting 2 Samsungs for the price of the Raptor and RAIDing them.
    No, I meant where can the new Samsungs you talked about be sourced? Those raptors can be got anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

is there any 2 hdds that would be faster than 2 x 36gig raptor raid0'd that costs less than €200 for the 2?

aaf wrote:
    No, I meant where can the new Samsungs you talked about be sourced? Those raptors can be got anywhere
    Ah right, I'll get my coat... :(

gline wrote:
    is there any 2 hdds that would be faster than 2 x 36gig raptor raid0'd that costs less than €200 for the 2?
    No, not using SATA (one) anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    No, not using SATA (one) anyway.

what about sata 2?? A lot of sites say different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

overclockers.co.uk have the samsung drives i thinks... I've a 76gb raptor n to be honest i don't see much of a difference between it n my old 250gb maxtor IDE's.. few secs here n there, as i always say.. whats the rush. Have a cuppa while u wait ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've found the 16Mb cache drives such as in my sig to be very fast indeed.

Simona1986 wrote:
    I've found the 16Mb cache drives such as in my sig to be very fast indeed.
    Yeah but that's a SATA2 drive. Don't want to have to change my motherboard aswell.

You won't have to - it will still run at SATA speeds. You probably wouldn't be getting 150Mb/s out of them anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Disinformation.

www.dfi-street.com - check your board's revision against what they have.
    Nvidia threw a hissy fit at manufacturers a while back and newer NF4 Ultra-D chipsets can't be SATA300 modded afaik, though I've a sneaking suspicion that the board you have supports Sata300 on the chip (NF4, not SIL3112/4)

SATA2 doesn't exist. Please use SATA300 instead. It's more accurate :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

WizZard wrote:
    there are new Samsung drives that are supposed to be faster than the Raptors, eve though their RPM is only 7200.

Anybody any link to a review? What part number are those Samsungs?

It will still work.
    You can enable the jumpers so that the drive acts only as a SATA drive.
    You can just about make it out in picture for example.
    http://www.hardware-review.net/html/images/se16/large/IMG_8142.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The advantage of SATA300 v SATA is not much of an issue from what ive heard, since existing hard drives cant fill the SATA150 speeds in the first place.

I changed from a Samsung 160gb 8mb, to a 74gb Raptor and its one of the best by's ive made. I really like the added zip it gives windows both for boot up and general usage. I dont think id go back ........

Col_Loki wrote:
    I changed from a Samsung 160gb 8mb, to a 74gb Raptor and its one of the best by's ive made. I really like the added zip it gives windows both for boot up and general usage. I dont think id go back ........
    You should try them in RAID 0 ;)
    The little windows bootup animation (progress bar) doesn't even get to go from one end to the other once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The little windows bootup animation (progress bar) doesn't even get to go from one end to the other once!

Very nice indeed. The raptors are expensive per/mb thats for sure , but if your looking for performance the main area will be OS/Games etc and they can all fit nicely on the 74gb . I know Raid is another option with alot more HD space but i HATE the security risk, one disk dies you loose double the information, and also if you upgrade alot and need to change your Motherboard...... thats my logic behind getting the raptor and i must say it works like a charm.

[edit] PS have a look at www.storagereview.com for the best site ive seen on hard disk reviews.

Hmm, everything's pointing towards a raptor. Not a big fan of raid 0 either. Too much too lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ah I found the review of the Samsung on custom pc. What a load of horse crap their conclusion that the Samsung was quicker loading that game than the Raptor :mad:

unkel wrote:
    Ah I found the review of the Samsung on custom pc. What a load of horse crap their conclusion that the Samsung was quicker loading that game than the Raptor :mad:
    €121 for that Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM NCQ from komplett. Pity it's SATA2. Great price.

It will still function at the same speed though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah you won't lose out on much at all by plugging it into a SATA 1 board.

Advertisement