Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow, other, and the world at the moment

Options
  • 07-11-2005 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Given the riots in France, and the division in the world, I thought it might be a good time to talk about Jung's shadow and the psychology behind making "other" people who are different. This may be more appropriate in politics, I'm not sure, but I think looking at it from a psychological stand point might be more illuminating.

Here are a couple of quotes to ponder.

We live in a time when there dawns upon us a realization that the people living on the other side of the mountain are not made up exclusively of red-headed devils responsible for all the evil on this side of the mountain.

——C. G. Jung

Being human, especially being a self-aware human, entails facing bitter truths about existence. The price one pays for self-awareness is to see the dark side——not so much to dwell there, but to penetrate, to somehow get through and actually affirm your destiny.

——Irvin Yalom

Advertisement